I just had bilateral implant removal and mastopexy. I went for a 2 mile walk today and was so tired. Is this normal?

I used to run/walk this 3 weeks ago. I am 47 and very active at the gym. I do a HITT program and weight lifting. I had to sit down 3 time during this walk today,this bothers me.

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - just had removal and mastopexy. I went for walk today, so tired

It depends on how long ago you had your surgery.  You should in any event contact your PS to go over what you're feeling and make sure everything is okay.

It's common to be tired for a long time after surgery.  It's different for each person but if you're in the first few weeks post-op and pushed yourself a bit, then it's not surprising that you got tired.  Try to be patient with the rate at which your body heals.

If, however, it's early (within a few days or a week) and you also have swelling, bruising, unilateral pain, etc., then it can indicate a more serious problem, such as bleeding.

Beyond these generalizations, though, you'll need to speak with your PS to find out what to do next.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100

Each one of us recovers from surgery at different rates.When recovering from surgery, we are all usually less active and do little to no exercise. It is likely that you will just need to gradually work your way back to normalcy. Good luck!

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tired about major surgery

Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal and mastopexy recovery.

• When did you have your surgery?
  • If it was in the past week, then your fatigue is normal.
  • If it was 3 weeks ago, you can still be a bit tired by surgery and also have lost some fitness.
  • If you were pushing yourself and walking fast this fatigue can be entirely normal.
  • See your surgeon to be checked - ask your surgeon to make sure you are not anemic and for advice on progressing back to your regular work out.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Fatigue after surgery

It is perfectly normal to feel more fatigue after surgery.  Though you appear well healed on the outside, your body will continue to heal on the inside for many months.  It occurs after every surgery but will return to normal depending upon the extent of your surgery.  Rarely is it considered abnormal but complications such as infection or wound healing issues may increase the degree and length of your fatigue.

Paul B. Mills, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Please see the information about problems with breast implants.  Fatigue such as this can be due to Candidiasis (also associated with muscle aches and mental clouding) that can occur due to yeast overgrowth with antibiotics and stress. 

Susan Kolb, MD

After a procedure like this it usually takes at least 6-8 weeks to fell "normal" physically.  Jane

Is it normal to be tired after three weeks?

Thank you for your question.  Yes, it is normal to become easily fatigued after surgery.  Although you may have been very active and fit before surgery your body is healing and it will still take time.  Start slow and be patient.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Fatigue following surgery

While it is unlikely that you had significant blood loss during this type of surgery, you might ask your surgeon about it and get your hemoglobin level checked. If you are anemic, supplementing with iron can help your body build blood volume back to normal and restore your exercise tolerance faster. Stay hydrated to avoid feeling light headed, eat healthy, and get some carbs prior to exercise. Good luck and speedy recovery.

Post op excercise

Great question.  Yes this is normal.  The body is amazing at its healing process making us feel often times externally we are completely healed when internally the healing process can go on for months.  What I tell my patients is start slow and work your way back to where you were pre-operatively. Most importantly listen to your body, which you seem to be doing having sat down 3 times today during your walk.  Also you definitely want to follow the post-operative directions of your surgeon.  Remember slow and steady wins the race!  Best of luck to you!!!    

Camille Cash, MD

Exercise after surgery

When you get back to exercising after surgery it can seem like starting from square one. It is amazing how fast the body reconditions. You will find things that used to be easy, difficult.  This is normal and very common. The important thing is to gradually increase your activity and not jump back into things too soon, you don't want to over do it. Good luck with recovery.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon