Brow or upper eyelid lift?

About 3 years ago, i was diagnosed with severe conjunctivitis/ sinusitis and it left my right eye looking lazy or droopy. I seen an oculoplastic surgeon at the VA and they stated that if my eye didn't recover within time they would operate. Time passed andunfortunately it wasn't bad enough for them to treat me they claimed. If there is any doctor that is in oculoplastics and thinks they could help me or perform the surgery it would be great.

Eyelid Surgery

Thank you for your question. Eyelid surgery can address droopiness and laziness in the eyes. Transconjunctival blepharoplasty is a very effective and safe method, however, before recommending any procedures it is important to determine your candidacy. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brow lift for eyelid droop

Eyelid droop is an upsetting problem.  Determining the probable cause of the droop (ptosis) is important prior to choosing a plan for correction; and there are several common causes for ptosis. It is, however, very unlikely that the sinus infection played a part in it as there is no real mechanism for that to occur.  It is important to have an in-person consultation with a board-certified oculoplastic or facial plastic surgeon to help you decide if surgery could help, and if so, should it be eyelid surgery alone, or with the addition of a brow lift.

Brow or upper lid?

My advice to you is to seek out a fully trained board certified plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon and schedule a consultation with them ( probably more than one) and get their expert advice.  I will be happy to help.

Christopher W. Chase, MD
Chattanooga Plastic Surgeon

Brow lift vs blepharoplasty

• Thank you for your question. This concern comes up in consultations many times. Your conjunctivitis / sinusitis may not have anything to do with the upper eye appearance. 
  • The upper eyelid "look" can be due to extra skin  in the upper llid, a lowering of one's eyebrow or a combination of both.
  • The best way to see if your improvement would be helped by a brow lift, you can elevate your eyebrow and see if this give you the appearance you are looking for. 
  • If you are still dissatisfied with the upper eyelid look, you may need to have both procedures performed. 
  • The attached reference shows a woman that had both procedures performed. Other illustrations show only a upper eyelid impact. 

Michael Kulick, MD, DDS

Brow or upper eyelid lift

Thank you for your question.  It is difficult to accurately discuss treatment options without photos or a clinical examination.  As such, the cause and degree of your eyelid droopiness must first be determined.  Surgical treatment options (i.e. ptosis surgery) exist to correct droopy eyelids.  Heavy set or droopy brows may also cause eyelid droopiness, and an clinical examination would be required to determine the best treatment option for you.    

Paul Nazemi, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis can be of the eyelid or eyebrow

ptosis (dropping of tissues) can occur in the eyelid itself or in the forehead, causing the eyebrows to drop below the orbital rim. This can lead to extra skin above the eyelid. Ptosis of the lid means that the eyelid itself, not the skin, has fallen. These are very different problems with their own specific surgical corrections. When involving only 1 eye, it is more commonly eyelid, not brow, ptosis. Photos would help determine which one you have. 

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon