Juvederm lasted ONE week. Any suggestions? (photos)

I received Juvederm in my lips, nasolabial folds, marionette lines and one cheek, one syringe. Is it Possible it was spread too thin and that's why I have no results now?

Filler for Facial Volumization -- Needs appropriate amount

most of the time i find that people do not get enough filler.  If you are having ALL Those treatment areas done at the same time you are going to need a number of tubes to get to optimal correction.  so likely the filler is "lasting" but you are not at optimal correction and need more.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Juvederm injections and longevity

Thank you for posting your photo.  You would need two syringes at least to accomplish filling the lips and nasolabial areas and probably two syringes of Voluma to improve the cheeks.  There is no possible way to have results that would make you happy with one syringe.  If cost is an issue, which it is for most people, then pick the area that concerns you the most to correct first.  Best, Dr. Green

Juvederm in my lips, nasolabial folds, marionette lines and one cheek, one syringe. Is it Possible it was spread too thin?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping and contouring procedures over the past 30 years using dermal fillers or facial implants (chin, cheeks).  1cc of Juvederm over all of those areas is far too small of a volume to augment the lips, shape the cheeks and fill in the folds.  

Hope this helps.

What to expect after your Juvederm injection...

Thank you for your question, as you have a common problem.  Thank you for submitting a picture, but it is impossible to judge your results without a before as well as after photograph.

That being said, with only one syringe of Juvederm, I would not expect you to have much in the way of impressive results. You had far too many areas treated to appreciate dramatic results. For the majority of women in my practice, one syringe of Juvederm can be used entirely in the lips. Whenever someone tells me that they tried Juvederm (or any other filler) in the past, and it looked good for a week or two, they are basically telling me that they liked the swelling and they had their treatment areas under corrected.

Generally speaking, I would rather treat one single area to correction, rather than spread the product out over to many areas. When properly injected with good technique and appropriate quantity, you should expect your Juvederm treatment to last around a full year. 

Michael Bowman, MD
Roanoke Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm spread too thin

Volume from fillers depends on many factors such as the type of filler, amount used, placement of the filler, location injected, and amount of volume loss.  Often, multiple syringes are needed in order to achieve expected results.  A frank conversation about expectations of results should be had with your physician before undertaking filler injections to avoid disappointment.  When less that ideal amounts of volume are used, less effect is produced.  Swelling in tissues for the first few days after filler can over inflate expectations of final results.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm not lasting

One syringe of Juvederm is one milliliter or one cubic centimeter. That amount is one fifth of a teaspoon! That is not a lot of volume. If that syringe was spread out over all the areas you mentioned, then you probably saw an early improvement from the swelling associated with the trauma of the needle, but once the swelling went away, that very small volume won't do much when it is placed across so many areas.

I usually place at least one full syringe in the marionette lines alone, plus one or two in the smile lines, and another in the lips, and at least one to three more in the cheeks. I'm guessing you just need more volume, which means more syringes. If you only did one because of the cost, that might have been a mistake. If someone can only afford one syringe, we choose the area they need volume in the most and use the whole syringe in that area. That way, you can see and appreciate the improvement. When it's spread out over a bunch of locations, you really don't get much out of it.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.
Facial Plastic Specialist
Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm lasted ONE week. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  Addressing that number of areas with a single syringe has likely led to a small improvement in appearance, volume, and shape, but likely not enough to make a noticeable change.  I do think the juvederm was spread a bit thinly, and you would receive more noticeable results with additional filler placement.

Juvederm results not lasting

The most likely reason that you see minimal results after your Juvederm treatment after one week is that not enough was used.  One syringe is very little to treat the lips, nasolabial folds, marionette lines and one cheek.  You can always add more to get greater effect.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too little product, too many areas

You had just 1 single syringe for all those areas?  That's like asking a gallon of paint to cover a whole house!

So, it's no wonder that no particular area looks noticeably different after the swelling went down.

You'll need to use significantly more product, or treat fewer areas.