What is the next best thing after Sientra Textured round HP implant ? What feels softer to the touch and more natural?

As I understand Sientra , (my top choice) pulled their product off the market and it is unknown when it will be back. I was told by my surgeons staff that (my 2nd choice) Natrelle round textured silicone are on backorder, so I'm left with a choice of mentor smooth or textured, which I didn't like the feel of during my preop. And smooth I wanted to avoid, because my fear of capsular contraction. I also can't find anything on Mentors warranty and coverage policies. So confused!! Please help!

Implant choices

Hello, the other common implant manufacturers (Allergan and Mentor) both make very good options that come textured and smooth, teardrop and round.  Your surgeon can likely make recommendations about implants that are similar to your original choice.

Implants

There are many different choices with the two other companies that provide implants.  In my opinion they all have similar products.

Implant differences

It looks like you have done your research. The different shaped implants on the market do feel slightly different out of the package. The consistency of the Allerghan inplant is slightly firmer to touch than the Mentor or Sientra. However, once placed properly there is very little difference especially if you have a reasonable amount of breast tissue to cover the impla t. The most important thing is that yoyr surgeon uses what they feel will give you the best most consistent results. 

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Implant Choices

The differences between gel implants is subtle. The best implant is the one that your surgeon is most comfortable with. There is no perfect implant. There are positives and negatives associated with each type and each manufacturer. Ultimately, what you use will not greatly impact on the final result. Follow the advice of your plastic surgeon.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Replace Sientra implants

In the end most of the implants outside of the Allergan410 shaped implants feel pretty close to the same. If you're going under the muscle, I see no reason why not to use a mentor smooth round implant. If you put the implant on top of the muscle, I would go with a textured Allergan implant. There's not much difference under the muscle between the Contracture Rates Of Smooth And Textured Implants. Good Luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

No implant proven better or safer than another

No breast implant manufacturer has proven that their device looks or feels better once implanted despite all the marketing hype. Anytime there are many choices, it is because they all have positives and negatives. The implant manufacturers prey on the unknowing consumer to pick a device with flashy advertising, or the “newer is always better” marketing campaign strategy. I attached a link with in depth discussion regarding silicone implants.

My concern with Sientra is who will honor their warranty if they go bankrupt or the FDA does not approve a new manufacturing facility as their sole manufacturer Silimed, factory (the same one that was producing contaminated implants) has since burned to the ground. Sientra would not answer my warranty concerns, and did not indicate they have a separate trust or third party guarantor of "lifetime" warranty.

Very little difference clinically

At the end of the day, if you achieve the desired SIZE and shape of your breast, there will be minimal difference clinically between each of the silicone gel breast implants. 
The warranty of the implants are all similar.
I too am looking forward to getting the Sientra breast implants back.

Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS