Am I going to get the most out of Kybella after I've already had submental liposuction?

29 year old male, average weight, relatively fit. I had submental lipo two years ago but am still not satisfied with the angle of my jaw in my profile (It still slopes slightly upward from adams apple to chin). My chin that is about 3mm mildly recessed (so not much), and am looking for a better angle for my profile. I went in to inquire about a platysmoplasty, however my doctor recommended Kybella. Am I really going to get the most out of Kybella after I've already had submental lipo?

Kybella after Liposuction

It is difficult to give you an answer without seeing a photo. Some patients can benefit from both Kybella and liposuction. Kybella targets fat cells, this is a good treatment if there is remaining fatty tissue in the area. If there is loose skin then Kybella will not be an effective treatment. I hope this helps. 

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Kybella and liposuction

This is an important point... Kybella and liposuction remove the SAME layer of fat. It is called pre-platysmal fat. If the liposuction procedure did not remove enough pre-platysmal fat, then Kybella may give you some improvement. However, if the liposuction performed was thorough, then you will probably need a platysmaplasty. This is when a portion of the platysma muscle is removed along with some underlying post-platysmal fat. I would discuss thsi problema with a cosmetic surgeon who performs both these procedures. Some fat needs to remain on the skin side or a wrinkled appearance to your neck skin can occur.

Neck contour

Kybella may prove marginally effective for your neck since you had formal  liposuction surgery. A formal platysmaplasty can result in improved neck contour. 

DrBurnett#realself100

Kybella and submental fat after liposuction

It sounds like the area of concern is not right under the chin and Kybella may not be the best option for you.  Without even photos it is impossible to assess the area.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella after submental liposuction - an option for some patients

It isn't possible to give you an accurate answer without at least seeing pictures of the area in question.  There are some patients who can benefit from a combination of liposuction and Kybella.  Because Kybella specifically targets fat cells, this treatment could be a good option for you at this time if there is residual fatty tissue in the area you want treated.  If the issue is loose skin (or "skin laxity"), then Kybella will not be effective.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella

While Kybella can be extremely effective, it sounds to me as if your issue isn't really with the submental fat. I would recommend that you seek another opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon in your area regarding a platysmoplasty. Without examining you in person, it is impossible to give you truly accurate advice but I don't want you to waste your money on a treatment that might not deliver the results that you desire. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Submental chin fat

Fat underneath the chin hangs out in two separate places. The fat between the muscle and the skin is called subcutaneous fat. It is reducible either with liposuction or with Kybella. If the fullness persists after liposucton of the subcutaneous fat, then the fullness is not likely to be reduced with Kybella. The second place that the fat resides in in the subplatysmal space( underneath the platysma muscle). It is NOT removed with either standard liposuction nor with Kybella. It needs to be surgically removed during the platysmaplasty. 

Getting The Best Results with Kybella--Add Thermage/Ultherapy

This is tough to answer without pictures. Kybella is a great choice and works best in combination with other skin tightening treatments. Using it with thermage/ultherapy can help to tighten the skin under the chin. VASER/ThermiRF are also great options and if you have had this there is no harm in doing some kybella after. See an expert for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer