I do not have enough fat to lipo for the Brazilian Butt Lift?

How can I achieve the results of a fuller hip and butt?

You have great options! The demand and popularity for buttock enhancement procedures in my practice is through the roof!  It’s allowed me to perfect my technique over the years so that I produce safe, reliable and long-lasting results that will age well with my patients whether it’s using fat only, gummy bear butt implants only, or both.  In the end, it’s important to choose whatever means necessary to achieve your desired goals for size, but more importantly shape!

My patients generally seek to have a perky or curvaceous butt that is shapely, whether they are full-figured and voluptuous or shredded fitness types, and everything in the middle.  If you were gifted with a flat or shapeless butt or acquired it over the years, consider a consultation with a plastic surgeon who does all 3 major types of enhancements to understand all your options.

It’s important to understand that the terms relating to buttock enhancement are not as important as what your specifically tailored plan entails. Often the words Buttock Augmentation, Butt Lift, Brazilian Butt Lift, Buttock Fat Grafting, Buttock Reshaping and so on are used interchangeably.  Get a consultation so that you can best understand what will help you achieve a sexier you.

What can I do to enlarge my butt besides a BBL?

If a patient does not have enough fat, I can still place a butt implant to give them more fullness in that area. Also, my taking fat from the flanks area, that will give the butt a larger appearance. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Buttock/hip augmentation options

In short, a combination of sculpting your waistline with liposuction and augmenting your buttock with implants provides the best chance for a long lasting "hour-glass" figure. Please read on for more surgical details:

Regarding buttock/hip augmentation surgery, let me start off by saying that I currently see at least 2 - 3 patients, domestic and international,  per week that failed "brazilian buttock lift" (i.e. the fat melted away after 10 - 12+ months and/or the projection result was grossly insufficient) and are now seeking a more reliable and permanent option (i.e. buttock and/or hip implants). 

There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation and Hip Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock/Hip Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak). Both are options but what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection and long-term results. 
Indeed because at least 80+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest. Another tip is that if you purposely gain weight (i.e. fat) for the procedure, the fat you lose first as you get back to your baseline weight is that very same fat that was transferred into your buttock...so don't fall victim to this recommendation. Even those patients that had adequate amounts of fat pre-operatively, still end up seeking buttock implants after a year or so because most of the fat transferred melted away leaving them with minimal result.

Although overall using your own fat is relatively safe, it not infrequently melts away unevenly leaving one butt cheek bigger than the other or with dimpling or hard fat cysts.  The one serious complication that can rarely (< 1%) happen is "fat embolism" in which some of the fat gets into the blood stream and travels up into the lungs, heart, and/or brain causing serious problems. This complication is more likely to happen with the larger amount of fat being transferred. This is even more likely to happen when using fillers like liquid silicone, PMMA, Sculptra, and hyaluronic acids. Also fillers, when injected in large quantities, have a relatively high infection rate, guaranteed tendency to migrate away from the original area they were injected, and almost always stimulate a lot of inflammation with a subsequent and disastrous amount of scar tissue/hardening.
Thus buttock/hip implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock/hip augmentation (at least in my practice). To avoid high risk of healing problems with the central single incision, I prefer to insert the buttock implants through a 1 1/2 inch long incision along the inner curve of each upper buttock cheek at the level of the tailbone, similar to two opposing parentheses ")(" (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks) and the hip implants through a ~ 1 inch incision just below the beltline above the hip region. The buttock implant should always be placed under or within (muscle thickness permitting) the gluteus maximus muscle. In this position, the implant is much less palpable & visible (ie feeling and looking like an Olympic sprinter's butt), and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle or "subfascial". On the other hand, hip implants are placed under just the fascia because no significant muscle exists in this region. However, because they are much smaller and lighter, their likelihood of migration is relatively low. Because all of this, it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in these procedures (does at least 2/week) so that the implant placement is precise for both. Glad to help. 

Ryan Stanton, MD

BBL Candidate

Hello, thanks so much for your inquiry. It is very hard to give you a good advice without watching your pictures or even better to see  you in person. There are some patients, that even though they don't have a lot of donor fat, they still can get good results. In some other cases, fat grafting plus implants can be combined, giving a beautiful projection. 

Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey! 

Respectfully, Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. It is difficult to answer your question without seeing photos or a consultation. However, it is not unusual in our practice to have patients who are in similar situation that they do not have enough fat to achieve their results. One option is for the patient to gain some weight and than perform the fat grafting to buttocks also known as Brazilian Butt Lift. Another alternative is to have have buttock augmentation using implants. It I should best to schedule a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Fuller buttocks and hip and minimal fat

You can consider fat grafting to the hips and implant to the buttocks proper. This is the ideal plan for someone who does not have lots of fat. Please see examples below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD