What are the advantages/disadvantages of Submental Lipo vs. Precision Tx vs. Kybella?

Submental Lipo vs Kybella vs Precision Tx

Kybella does work, but will usually require multiple treatments and there is a period of tenderness and induration (firmness) after each treatment. The results also depend on how well the skin retracts. Kybella was bought by Allergan and has been heavily marketed. I don't think the results live up to the hype. 

Liposuction also works. It's very dependent on the skill of the surgeon and on the ability of your skin to retract. There is some down time but recovery is generally quite easy.

Precision Tx is a version of Laser liposuction so it wouldn't be accurate to describe it as "minimally" invasive. The benefit of Precision TX is that it will provide an element of skin tightening which does not occur with the other procedures. I have used all versions of liposuction, including Vaser, and have found without question that Precision Tx provides the optimal combination of fat reduction and skin tightening. Yes the marketing was at times misleading, and no there are no comparative, randomized, blinded trials, and there never will be because there is no incentive for the companies to perform them. There is a short downtime with minimal discomfort and a rapid recovery with this procedure so it would almost always be my recommendation. 

Kybella requires multiple treatments with multiple swelling episodes that are noticeable.  Liposuction can be done one time with one recovery.  It is really up to you.

Best procedure

Thank you for the question and each procedure has its good and bad points but requires an examination to determine what might be best for you.  So go on some complimentary consultations and be evaluated.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Submental Fat Reduction

Kybella saves you neither time nor money, and may not completely cure the problem. Liposuction in the hands of an ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon is safe, quick, and reliable. PrecisionTx is brought to you by the company that coined great marketing terms like 'Smartlipo' and 'Celulaze', and confused the public into thinking that the machine is what you want, not the surgeon. Get one thing clear: Its an addition to liposuction. They market it as 'minimally invasive', but don't tell you that liposuction is part of the deal. Like other areas of the body, there are no peer reviewed, randomized or blinded studies that show any high tech device as superior to standard liposuction. Remember what's important is the surgeon, not the machine. Best of luck! Instagram: @drgeraldminniti

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

What are the advantages/diadvantages of Submental lipo vs Precision Tx vs Kybella

The one big disadvantage of Kybella (Belkyra in Canada) is the inability to have liposuction after using the injectable due to scar fibrosis in the tissue. If your defect is minimal or not, liposelection with VASER will get you the result you want in one session under local and at a lower cost as well as some skin tightening. The pain and swelling of the injection is equivalent to that with VASER and will likely require 3 -5 treatments as opposed to one. The beauty of VASER is that it can be repeated if need be at some later date. Hope this helps.

Ken Dolynchuk, MD
Manitoba Plastic Surgeon

For Best Results, Go With VASER HI DEF, ThermiRF, ultrasound

Liposuction gives the best results, if you're a candidate. I find that VASER liposuction in combination with ThermiRF or ultrasound are best for contouring the chin and fixing asymmetries in those who are candidates but Kybella can be used as an alternative with or without thermage/ultherapy/exilis.  Laser did much less in my experience than ultrasound. See an expert for a formal evaluation. Best. Dr. Emer

Thank you for your question.  I answer my patients inquiries about treatment options with the simple fact that for appropriate candidates liposuction gives the most complete and long-lasting result of the group.  For patients trying to avoid surgery I recommend iLipoXcell but do not recommend Kybella despite its recent popularity and marketing.  The latter causes prolonged numbness and the results often take two or more treatments at greater expense than liposuction performed under local anesthesia.  Others will differ but that is my recommendation since most patients seek a complete rather than a partial improvement.  Regards,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Submental fat removal options

Hi and thank you for your question. We see a lot of patients for this problem. These are all good options in the right patient. I have used all  of them depending on the patient. Kybella dissolves the fat but does very little for any excess skin. The more you need the more it costs. I find this best in younger patients who do not have very much fat and no excess skin.

Precision Tx/ Smartlipo are very good options for someone with fat and extra skin. The laser helps adhere the skin and tighten the deeper layers so I can get a neck lifted look without the big scar or down time or price. However if someone has excessive amounts of skin, then they are best served with some liposuction and a neck lift. With these two options, you will likely need to wear a support garment for the neck afterward.

Your best bet is to ask your board certified plastic surgeon to show you examples of each situation so you can understand which one they are recommending for you. Best of luck

Leilie Javan, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Treating fat under the skin

Thank you for asking about the fat under your chin.

• Your best, easiest result is with liposuction and central muscle tightening if needed.
  • Kybella works well if you cannot have or don't want surgery - but it takes multiple treatments six weeks apart and is likely to cost as much as or more than surgery
  • Office fat shrinking machines will at most give you a 20% reduction in the fat - most people want more than this but if you are the exception, it is reasonable to try....
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Solutions for Double Chin

Submental liposuction is invasive but will give you the result in a single treatment.  However, there will be some downtime and the need to wear a compression wrap.  Kybella is a series of treatment done in the office.  Generally, 3 to 5 treatments are necessary and you need to have good skin quality for the best result.  CoolSculpting with the CoolMini device is another options to consider.

John Burns, MD