Should I lose weight before or after a Brazilian butt lift?

At the moment I have extra fat on my body, so I'm at a good size to get a bbl, but after surgery, I would still want to tone my body and lose that little bit more as I want a completely flat tummy and lose weight from my face e.c.t. My question is after you get this surgery can you lose weight and do lots of exercise and do squats still? If so how soon after surgery would you be able to start exercising intensely?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... First you have to get a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and consult your BMI, then you can know if you are a good candidate for bbl at the moment, or if you have to wait until having a bbl in the future..

BBL

I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to have a physical examination done to see if you are a good candidate for a BBL. I do not recommend patients gaining weight for this procedure or losing too much weight after. You should maintain a stable weight for at least 3-6 months prior to having the procedure done to obtain optimal results. If your weight fluctuates too much pre or post operatively, this can affect your results. If you do not have enough fat to achieve your cosmetic goals, I would consider buttock implants or the combination of fat grafting and buttock implants to achieve your goals. If you want to lose some more weight, I would recommend doing this prior to your surgery. Best of luck!

Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

BBL

Thank you for your question. If you lose weight the fat can be lost anywhere including your buttocks created through the BBL. Usually 70% of the fat transferred will stay forever. It is best to resume strenuous activities such as exercise four to six weeks following surgery. Listen to your board certified plastic surgeon's post-op instructions. 

Hope this helps,

Dr. Newall 

German Newall, MD

You want to be at a stable weight when you undergo the BBL. If you lose weight or work out harder after the surgery (once you are cleared by your PS) you will change your results. Weight loss will lead to shrinkage in the size of your buttocks and/or hips. This is why I don't recommend that patients gain weight in preparation for a BBL if they plan to lose it post op. 

Weight and exercise after your BBL

I recommend that you be at your "normal" weight for your BBL. "Normal" means whatever weight your body seems to be set at, even if it is overweight or underweight. Your activity level after the surgery can resume just as it was pre-op. Exercises such as squats, and minor weight loss should not affect your BBL results. However, major fluctuations in weight can change your results. This means that if you plan on losing significant weight, you should do it before your BBL procedure.