How long until I can stretch out after tummy tuck ?

I'm 27 days post tummy tuck and still feel really tight, I can't sleep on my side yet as I'm still bruised and sore from lipo as well as TT. I'm worried that over stretching will cause damage to my scar and results.

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck procedure; your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to specific advice.  Personally, I think that you are wise in being cautious.  Tension across the incision line can potentially spread scars; I ask my patients to stay somewhat flexed at the waist for the first 4 to 6 weeks after tummy tuck surgery.   Again, recommendations will vary.  Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

1 month post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (1 month post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy tuck and standing straight

My patients are usually able to stand yup straight after several days.  It is a bit unusual for you to still require to be flexed at almost 4 weeks,. Best to see your surgeon.

Recovery following tummy tuck

Hi Mandy

At only 27 days post op it is still quite common to be experiencing your symptoms, particularly with internal muscle tightening and liposuction. Continue to keep wearing your compression garment and if all your wounds are 100% healed consider commencing lymphatic massage with the approval of your surgeon. I generally recommend avoiding gym workouts, heavy lifting or extremes of stretching for 6 weeks post op. Keep in regular contact with your Specialist Plastic Surgeon during this time, you'll be in good hands.

Return to Activity After Surgery

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

Now, after the six eek period you should be able to return to stretching and exercise but if you find yourself concerned at all it would be good to visit your surgeon just to check on the healing process and make sure full activity is safe at that time. Good luck!