Is it too soon and am I too overweight for my ideal results?

I had a babt 10-5-15. My third C-section. I'm 5 foot 6 and weight 186. My measurements are Thighs 20 1/2 inches arms 12 1/2 inches Hips 46 inches Waist 35 1/2 inches Bust 42 inches I was 150 prior to becoming pregnant. I'm pretty active but am finding that the weight isn't coming off as quickly as my last 2 pregnancies. So my question is, should I get back to 159 before getting a mommy makeover? How soon is too son after having a C-section? Thank you

3 to 6 months is usually enough time following a C-section.   Understanding your goals for your body as well as knowing how you look now are critical to offering the best recommendation.

Beverly Hills, CA

Weight & Mommy Makeover

You want to wait at least 6 months post birth or until you are completely done breast feeding. In terms of weight, you want to be close to your idea manageable weight before surgery in order to insure optimum results. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

When is the Right Time

Congrats on the newest member of your family!  Hope you are getting a little rest and starting to feel back to your pre-pregnancy self.  I typically tell those post-baby that they should wait at least 6 months if not a full year before deciding upon a mommy makeover.   
Once you are ready for your Mommy Makeover I would recommend the following:

• 1.Make sure you have a strong support system in place. This includes people who have the time and compassion to truly care for you. Moms – please understand that holding, carrying, giving baths, and doing all activities with your sweet babies will need full support from family and friends during the first two weeks.
  • 2.Be patient with the healing process. It may take several weeks to months for all the swelling to resolve and incisional areas to soften. It takes a while to feel “normal” again…and this is totally okay and expected.
  • 3.Be prepared to have things available to distract you mind and keep you company including books, magazines, movies, etc. Even if you might not look your best having a friend or two stop by during week two feels really great.
  • 4.Carefully follow your post-operative instructions from your surgeon. Don’t hesitate to contact your surgical team if have any question or concerns. In my practice I share my personal phone number with my patients and their family so I can be reached anytime.
  • 5.Remember that this can be an emotional experience. For those who have experienced the first days home after having a baby you might feel the exact same surges of emotion. Your feelings may alternate. One moment you are elated and proud of your confidence and bravery to move forward and the next moment you may feel guilty for asking your family and friends to help you. This is normal and expected. Moms are used to putting everyone else first. Just remember this is one brief period where you get to take care of yourself.

Cheers and Best Wishes!
Dr. Steven Camp
#HappyCamperMD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

How long to wait after C-sxn to have mommy makeover.

I will have my recent "mommies" wait at least six months after a full term pregancy. I will also ask that they have stopped breast feeding for at least 4 months prior to a breast surgery. I prefer that my patients are within 20-25 lbs of their ideal weight before proceeding with a mommy makeover. Please consult with your local board certified plastic surgeon.

Mommy makeover

You should wait at least 4-6 months after a C-section which would give you enough time to loose additional weight. Try to loose 15lbs

Fred Suess, MD

Weight loss and Mommy makeover

Achieving your ideal weight is important as it will only improve your final result. If you are able to lose the excess weight then the job of surgery will be easier with less liposuction involved.  In addition, you intra-abdominal fat will be less and this will make your stomach usually appear smaller and more proportioned.  
Conversely, if you lose more weight after the procedures there may be excess skin needed to be removed at a later stage.  That is why I believe it is always better to weight until your weight has been stable for about 6 months before proceeding with the operation. Hope this helps

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon

Weight before Mommy MakeOver/ Tummy Tuck

Ideally if you want the optimal result from your surgery, you should be at your "happy" weight.. Losing weight after pregnancy is a challenge especially as you are busy with your new little ones!  It's important to remember that surgery is a life long investment in your health and appearance.  It's also a big  expense and commitment to post operative healing so you want to make certain that you achieve your best result possible!!  If you are at your best ideal weight, then the surgeon will have the best opportunity to contour your body tissues and excess skin to achieve the smoothest most desirable result.   I hate having to tell my patients they need to lose weight, but it is in their best interest.  Think of it as training for a competition!!   You can do this and just think of how great you are going to look and feel!! Good Luck!

Carlin Vickery, MD

Pre surgery weight loss

Thank you for your question. Yes, It is advisable that you get down to your goal weight or as close as possible before planning your procedures. Your Plastic Surgeon will have more material to work with and your results will be more dramatic. Aside from that obesity increases risk of complications with surgery.

All the best

Thank you for your question. Often with child bearing, the weight can be difficult to get off. I would advise keep trying with diet and exercise and set some reasonable and attainable goals for yourself.

With any type of cosmetic surgery, it is always advisable to be at (or near) your ideal body weight prior to proceeding with surgery. In addition, with any type of body contouring procedure such as a tummy tuck, your results are optimized if you can lose the weight prior to surgery as this will allow more of the excess skin to be removed at the time of surgery. When you reach your IBW (or close), get a consultation with a local qualified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. 

When is the best time to have a Mommy Makeover?

Great question.  Many women wonder when it is the best time to proceed with a Mommy Makeover after having children.  The first thing to decide is that you are done having children.  There is no point in having breast and abdominal rejuvenation if you are going to have another child -- it will simply "undo" the results.

Once you are ready to proceed with surgery, you should get yourself to your ideal weight and maintain that weight for a few months.  One does not want to have a breast lift and tummy tuck only to lose another 20 pounds and cause loose skin again.  Your surgery day is a snapshot of you in time, and if you gain or lose significant weight AFTER surgery, you can essentially ruin your results.

Good luck!