Just wondering what type of rhinoplasty I would need? Also how 'severe' is my case? (Photos)

I am mixed; Black, White & Native American but everyone thinks I'm middle eastern, Greek, etc. I get this curse from my grandma. I feel like I'm honestly not that unattractive but I feel like my nose prevents me from truly feeling pretty. Everyone says my nose is fine but I know they are just being nice. I didn't officially decide to get this done until a girl at my previous job called me 'toucan Sam' & told people I looked like a toucan. I don't think there's a word to describe the hurt I felt.

Just wondering what type of rhinoplasty I would need? Also how 'severe' is my case?

Greetings

Thank you for your question and photos. 

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate for dorsal hump removal

A  closed rhinoplasty can accomplish straightening the nose, shaving down the dorsal hump, lifting the tip slightly and refining the nasal to cartilages with all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. It's also important to release the depressor septi  ligament which pulls the tip down when smiling. This nose would be a routine rhinoplasty by a very experienced surgeon. Just as important as the rhinoplasty procedure, is the follow-up appointments with your surgeon to make sure that the skin tissue envelope is healing well over the cartilaginous framework. Many patients with dark skin will require cortisone shots and taping for the first several months after the procedure. For more information about rhinoplasty and many examples, please see link and the video below

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a cephalic rotation of your tip to turn up your tip slightly and a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Type of rhinoplasty

You have beautiful features that are an interesting amalgamation of your diverse heritage. In my opinion, a rhinoplasty procedure should not be used to erase those features unique to your heritage, but rather to enhance them. There are many different ways to achieve the goals your are likely looking for: a reduction of the bridge, an elevation of the tip so the nose does not look like it is plunging down, finessing of the tip and width of your nose so it appears to occupy less of a footprint on your face. These goals can be achieved in different ways, and some surgeons would do this through an open approach and some through a closed approach with no visible external incision. What matters is not the particular approach but rather the experience of the surgeon and his/her artistic sensibilities. In my practice, I utilize 3-D imaging and morphing software to model what I would like to accomplish, and the patient and I then go over these images to make sure we are on the same page regarding any proposed changes. I would suggest you do the same, and interview several different surgeons to find someone with the experience, artistic sense, and compatibility with yourself to trust with your rhinoplasty. Good luck!

Robert Galiano, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I am sorry to hear about the comments that person said about you. You are a beautiful young lady and shouldn’t let anyone make you feel unattractive. There are some things that could be corrected to enhance your natural beauty such as shaving down some of the cartilage on your bridge and refining your tip by trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing and proportional to the rest of your face. I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to have a physical nasal examination done and to discuss your concerns. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

I am so sorry you were insulted by people at your last job.  There is never an excuse for those type of actions.  You are a beautiful lady and your nose can easily be corrected with Rhinoplasty surgery.  I see your concerns.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD