What type of Rhinoplasty? (photos)

I have a really odd nose. It's wide and thick with an almost nonexistent tip. It feels as if the bottom part of my nose doesn't even have cartilage. The thing is though that I don't want a completely different nose. I actually like that it's a little wider. However in pictures it is too dominate and distracting. If I could get my ideal results it would be similar to Claire Danes. Is this realistic and what would be the procedure?

Rhinoplasty for the wide nose and bulbous tip

A closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish narrowing the bridge line with osteotomies by making all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. The bulbous tip can be narrowed with a combination of suture techniques and a conservative cartilage removal applied to the lower lateral cartilages of the nasal tip. Computer imaging performed in the office setting would be helpful to get an idea of what can be accomplished with a rhinoplasty procedure.  For many examples and more information, please see the link and the video below

Nose

jennifer13924, I have no idea who Clair Danes is but that doesn't really matter. each rhinoplasty I do is done to fit the patients face using ethnicity and a 3D perspective to guide me as well as over 25 years experience of doing "only faces". So see an experienced facial specialist that has many good photos and get evaluated. No one can tell you any more than that without an exam. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty

It is thought to say without an exam and a full discussion of your goals.  Best to be seen in person. All the best and good luck!

Nose

From your photos the nasal tip needs to be contoured to take it from being bulbous to a more defined shape.This would involve contouring the lower cartilages and and also the supra tip area.  

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Rhinhoplasty consult

Without an in-office consultation including a thorough history and physical exam, no recommendation should be or can be made. With that said, on the pictures you provided, it appears that you would benefit from refinement of the bottom third of your nose. Your profile view is actually not bad at all. You should see a rhinoplasty expert with extensive experience in nose surgery. He or she can discuss your options, set expectations, discuss possible limitations, etc. Whether an open or closed approach is utilized is secondary. One is not necessarily better or worse than the other. Surgeon comfort, experience, and preference with a given approach play an important role. What is most important, though, is to choose a surgeon you are comfortable with, confident in, and who's results you like on before and after photos shown to you. Best wishes!

Thomas J. Walker, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

What type of Rhinoplasty?

Every nose is different and unique to that individual. If the appearance of your nose concerns you enough to do something about it, it can be improved with a natural artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an in person examination (not just an online consultation) and discussion about desired outcome. Excellent results can be achieved with either a closed or open technique.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and how technically to do it based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California  

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Cincinnati Rhinoplasty

I think you are an excellent candidate for a Rhinoplasty.  In my practice the main goals of surgery should be contouring of the lower aspect or tip of the nose . The technique used can either be an open or closed approach.  So much of this depends on the surgeon and his or her experience .  But the most important thing is to identify someone who has significant experience in Rhinoplasty and who during your consultation seems knowledgeable and has a plan consistent with your goals.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon