Which do I need Tummy tuck w/Lipo, or just the Lipo or just tummy tuck? (Photos)

I dnt know which I need, because I want abdomen area nice and flat and muscle tight. Also i don't have any stretch marks on my stomach after surgery would there be stretch marks? Would you suggest upper and lower abdomen, flanks and back to b done? Or if I get upper and lower abdomen everything else will go flat with wearing the full body shaper? please help.. Thanks

Procedure Choice

Hi and thanks for the question and photos. The choice of procedures depends on 2 things: your physical exam and your desired outcome. If you have separation of your muscles Tummy Tuck will correct that and make your belly flatter. If the problem is fat on your abdomen then liposuction is the key and often a combination of the procedures is best. And of course if you desire a change in you backside BBL is the way to go. Best of Luck- Dr Hardy

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck or Lipo

An consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will be the best way to determine whether a tummy tuck or lipo would give you the results you're after. In general, however, it depends on the condition of your rectus abdominis muscle. Do you have a muscle separation? If so, a tummy tuck is likely the only way to achieve your goals.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Which do I need Tummy tuck w/Lipo, or just the Lipo or just tummy tuck?

You may be fine with liposuction alone. However, if you are done having children, a tummy tuck may be an option. An in person evaluation would be the best way to start.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck or lipo

The first question to ask is if you are done having kids. If you are having more kids, then a tummy tuck is out until you are done having kids. Having said that, I think you would have a good result with liposuction of your upper and lower abdomen and waist. As you noted, you do not have stretch marks, and your skin should retract well. What you have to realize with liposuction is that the skin will lay down, retract, and hang less as the mass of the fat will be gone. However the skin will not "tighten" and can appear not as smooth with dimples and some looseness. So your expectations have to be realistic so you will not be disappointed. Still, I have done many cases like yours with good satisfaction. You can always have a tummy tuck if you are not satisfied with the result, but this is a decision that should be thought out in advance as these procedures are expensive not to mention the recovery and time off work.

As a side note, with a tummy tuck, you would lose most of your tattoo. A portion of the tattoo extending around the waist may remain. Also know that liposuction does not require a general anesthetic and can be done with light sedation and local. Down time with liposuction is 3-5 days, whereas a tummy tuck is two weeks out of work. Many people cannot afford to take the time off for a tummy tuck which guides them towards liposuction.

I hope this helps and thanks for the inquiry.

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Which do I need Tummy tuck w/Lipo, or just the Lipo or just tummy tuck

It is difficult to tell whether you are a good candidate for a full extended tummy tuck and liposuction of selective areas without a physical examination and complete medical history. It would depend on your anatomical findings, motivation, realistic expectations, and whether you are finished having children.

The best long term cosmetic results with the least likelihood of potential complications are achieved in patients who weigh within 10 pounds of their ideal weight.

If a member of my family underwent these procedures, they would be performed by an experienced plastic surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. If you are serious about undergoing these procedures, you should have a thorough consultation with a plastic surgeon having those credentials, who will fully explain what is entailed in the procedures, including both the positives and potential problems. You should be complimented on the fact that you are seeking valid information before jumping into any procedure.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

From your photos alone and without the benefit of a face-to-face examination, it appears that you would do best with liposuction of the hip rolls and flanks combined with a full tummy tuck.  Losing weight in advance of the procedure may help to permit tightening of your muscles more effectively as well.  Liposuction alone may benefit you significantly but will leave all skin behind and not permit tightening of the musculature such as is performed with a mini or full tummy tuck.

Meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon for evaluation and a face-to-face consultation. That will give you the best advice to help you make the proper decision for you.  Please enjoy the video link above regarding liposuction, tummy tuck and the combination of both for the appropriate patient.  Regards,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Lipo + BBL candidate, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

In this regard, I recommend you waist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour.

Finally, I suggested take the fat we get and transfer to the buttocks and hips, to mold them and get better volume, contour and butt projection, is that we know as "Brazilian Butt Lift" (BBL).

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Liposuction

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for waistline contouring liposuction of your abdomen, flanks, and lower back.  This can greatly improve your overall shape with a smaller waist.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Just the liposuction or just tummy tuck?

This is a common question and the answer often comes down to issues of skin laxity, prior or future pregnancy, and stretch marks. If the skin looks well with good elasticity liposuction alone might be a safe bet. If your skin quality is poor then the tummy tuck will give a better result.

From your photos it appears it may be possible for a surgeon to help you meet your goals with liposuction alone, but a lot more goes into that decision than just looking at photos. To have a reliable answer it would be necessary for you to be examined. Seek out 2-3 surgeons in your area who do a large volume of abdominoplasty surgey for their opinions.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD