Tummy tuck - what should my BMI be?

I weight around 200 what should my bmi be for a tummy tuck . I love my weight . I just need hanging skin from my belly . I'm in good health .

A BMI under 30 is ideal for tummy tucks.

The best tummy tuck candidates are in good health, and that includes having a BMI in the healthy range, which is typically anywhere between 18 and 30. We typically encourage people with BMIs over 30, which indicates obesity, to lose weight before undergoing a tummy tuck. BMI is calculated using both height and weight, and because you don’t offer your height, I don’t know what your BMI is. You’re correct that a tummy tuck is the right procedure for removing excess skin from the abdomen. I recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. Best of luck to you.

BMI for a tummy tuck?

Ideally, your BMI should be 30 or less to minimize risks of the surgery.  However, if you are  comfortable at your weight and do not feel that you will lose more weight, then a tummy tuck to primarily remove the hanging tissue may be your best. choice.  Consult with your board certified plastic surgeon and good luck.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and BMI

An ideal BMI should be 30 or under for the best results after tummy tuck. With a weight of 200 lbs., your height would have to be 5' 8" to possess a BMI of 30. I have operated on hundreds of women with BMIs greater than 30. One must be well informed of the likely outcome when such higher BMIs are involved. Tummy tuck is NOT a weight loss operation. When combined with liposuction, tummy tuck can, when designed properly, yield some outstanding improvements in ones figure. When you consult a Board Certified plastic surgeon, make certain that your surgeon can demonstrate plenty of experience dealing with your condition.

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck - what should my BMI be?

A general rule for elective surgery is to have a BMI no greater than 30. You should be able to google BMI charts and enter your height and weight to see exactly where you currently stand. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck - what should my BMI be?

Without your height measurement I cannot calculate your BMI but is should be below 30 for reduced surgical and anesthetic risks.Seek a plastic surgeon that performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Tummy tuck - what should my BMI be

Thank you for your question.  Ideal BMI would be below 30. Consult with a board certified Plastic surgeon. Best Wishes. 

BMI

Hello and thank you for the question. Ideally, your BMI should be less than 30 for the performance of safe surgery. 
Good luck DrBurnett#realself100

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question. For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Tummy tuck - what should my BMI be?

Thank you for your question.  In order to minimize the risk of any elective surgery, while maximizing cosmetic results, it is best for patients to have a BMI under 30 and at their goal weight.  BMI results can be skewed based on body composition so best to see an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation in order to discuss your candidacy for surgery.  Best wishes.

BMI and surgery

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question.

Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.
For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less  or equal to 30.
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD