is it true? I came across a review that stated that when having a bbl done, only the back fat is used to place in the butt?

Supposedly back fat is more likely to survive the healing process) is this accurate? 80% of my fat is in my stomach. and its been there for some years! I was expecting to use the majority of my stomach fat for my bbl... help please!! I need answers!

Is it true? I came across a review that stated that when having a bbl done, only the back fat is used to place in the butt?

Hi. The simple answer is NO. Fat obatined from the back, hips, waist, abdomen, arms and thighs can be used to perform a BBL. It's the harvesting and handling of that fat which will determine how much of it is retained in the post-op, period.

I am certified but the American Board of Plastic Surgery and have practiced in the Miami area for the past 29 tears. As you we'll know, the South Florida area has become a hot bed for Brazilian Butt Lifts. Unfortunately, cosmetic surgery down here as also given rise to a number of mom and pop clinics who perform surgeries at unimaginable low prices. Buyer beware.

The key is............ does the surgeon have a keen sense of aesthetics? Can he/she create a shapely, attractive buttock or are they just technicians that wind up with large unshapely behinds? The same holds true for the liposuction portion of the procedure. Understand that liposuction whether SAL, PAL or UAL ( not including LAL because the fat obtained through this technique will not be useful) is not that technically challenging. However, the keen aesthetic eye will determine the eventual work of art.We are creators and have the ability to turn out beautiful works of art. Simply put................not all artists create quality work.

Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in liposuction and fat transfers . Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. We can accommodate patients from as far away as California. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

Give yourself the highest percentage of a sucssesful operation. Good luck, Dr. PG

Brazilian Butt Lift

Thank you for your question. With Brazilian butt lift we transfer fat from one area of the body to the other. These fat cells are transferred in microinjections throughout multiple planes in the buttock tissue so that they can gain new blood supply and live in their new home, providing increased volume and shape to the buttocks.
When planning a Brazilian butt lift, patients can look forward to a double benefit: reducing areas of unwanted fat while gaining a perkier, rounded posterior. Each procedure must be planned according to the individual needs of patients, harvesting fat from target areas of the torso, thighs or knees and transferring it to create smooth, attractive contours optimized for each person. 

Back Fat for BBL

Hello, thanks for your interesting question. There is no scientific data that back that information up that I know of.  Mostly the fat grafted into the buttocks comes from abdomen, waist, flanks and lower back, it all depends in the patient's fat availability. Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Respectfully,
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Using back fat for a Brazilian

The typical Brazilian involves liposuction of the abdomen waist and hips.
The fat from each area is really separated for the purpose of fat transferred.

There is no documented evidence that back fat is superior to fat from other areas.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

BBL

I often start off with abdominal and fat around the waist as my go to areas for harvesting.  Best of luck.  

Areas of fat that can be placed for BBL

With the traditional tumescent procedure, it is used to harvest fat in a way which causes the least amount of trauma to the individual fat cells. That being said the fat suctioned can be from any part of the body and in some cases it may take several different areas to allow for adequate volume enhancement.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Newall

German Newall, MD

BBL

Thank you for your question. Surgeons extract fat from areas of the body, usually the abdominals or flanks or near the buttocks to accentuate the fullest area of the buttocks, but where the fat is extracted from depends on individual need and candidacy. The fat is then processed and re-injected carefully into the buttocks. The fat is injected at various levels so that the patient will receive the best long term absorption rate. The fat is very carefully selected. I would recommend an in person exam to determine candidacy.

Dr. Leonard Lu

Leonard Lu, MD

Simple the answer is NO, The common donor sites for this procedure is your posterior waist/flanks, lateral thighs, back, waist, and anterior tummy.When you're looking for a cosmetic procedure you find a surgeon that has been certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. and free Face to face consultation.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who is highly experience in Brazilian Butt Lifts. choose one wisely.

Rami Ghurani, MD

All fat is used for BBL

When doing a BBL, the goal is to get as much fat from various placed on your body as possible so that more may be transferred to your buttock area. I cannot speak for other surgeons, but I do not discriminate between fat from different parts of the body - it is all used to transfer into the buttocks for the BBL. 

Tracy Kayan, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon