3 wks post-op, breast reduction and I'm noticing nipple necrosis and skin puckering on outer incision. Recommendations? (photo)

I had a breast reduction on October 11, I am week 3 post op and am noticing on top on my nipple necrosis I have this small puckering that has developed.... any idea what this is? There are two spots. My next post op is November 7, I am currently washing the nipple 2x per day and changing the bandage 2-3x per day and applying neosporin per my PS.

Post breast reduction

Amg603,

I'm sorry you had this complication.  The nipple necrosis just needs time to heal with the excellent wound care it sounds like you are providing.  The "puckering" you are seeing is caused by the swelling in the skin.  When the skin is swollen and it is pressed up against a bandage or dressing, it will actually take on the wrinkled impression of the bandage.  Its temporary.  I hope the healing process proceeds rapidly for you!

Dr. Jespersen

Arlington Plastic Surgeon

3 wks post-op, breast reduction and I'm noticing nipple necrosis and skin puckering on outer incision. Recommendations?

This will take some time to heal. Proper wound care is up to your plastic surgeon and it sounds like you are doing the right thing. Follow up with your surgeon. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS