Is it safe to get Breast Implants, Lower Bluff and facelift at the same time?

I am concerned about the time of being under anesthesia. I am having a lower facelift with my neck being done , lower eye bluff and breast implants.

Multiple procedures

The procedures that you have listed do not typical place undo stress on the body's functions.  Surgery that lasts less than 6-8 hours have been shown to not have significant risk of complications.  If you are monitored properly and in overall good health, your risk of injury is likely less than driving on the interstate.

Multiple procdures

Thank you for the question and if you are in good health the procedures you described should not be a problem if done in one sitting.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Are multiple plastic surgery procedures safe?

In a healthy patient, multiple plastic surgical procedures is safe to a point. There are no hard and fast rules on this but I try to limit procedures under general anesthesia to 8 hours.  What you are considering would take about that much time.  

Many people are fearful of anesthesia.  It's not like your anesthesiologist will be thinking "I wonder if this one is going to wake up".  Everyone I have done in over 20 years has woken up after surgery.  You will be monitored closely with EKG, O2 Saturation, CO2 saturation and blood pressure.  Any changes are immediately addressed.  

If your still concerned, consider that the biggest risk of the day of surgery is your car ride to the hospital.  Statistically, a 5 mile car ride is much more risky than a general anesthetic.

All my best.

If your surgeon is comfortable with it and you are healthy, you're fine

If your surgeon is ok with the plan and you are healthy, then I wouldn't' worry. The benefit is that you will only have 1 recovery.  Many of us have a limit of how much we will do in one setting.  Personally, I don't like to go over 6hrs.  Your surgery would be right at that limit for me, so I would say it's ok.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Combining procedures

The concept of combining multiple cosmetic procedures is well accepted and has many advantages including one recovery and usually a decreased cost compared to separating them out. The real question is, is it less safe doing it that way. There have been many papers written about the combination of abdominoplasty with other procedures such as breast lift or breast augmentation. In these papers, no increase morbidity was seen. I have always kept my operating time less than five hours when combining procedures although there is no hard scientific evidence as to what the exact cut off is when the risks will increase. I would ask your chosen plastic surgeon what their thoughts on this subject. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Is it safe to combine surgical procedures?

Thank you for your question.  Surgical procedures are often combined in order to allow patients to undergo only a single operation, anesthetic event, and recovery.  Ultimately a patient's safety is paramount and assuming you are a good candidate for surgery, it would be important to discuss the timing of these respective procedures as prolonged surgical times are associated with increased complications.  Speak to an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation. 

Combination

Combination surgeries are done a lot of times.  But without an in-person examination, it would be hard to assess your situation.  Visit your board-certified plastic surgeon and get an evaluation on your concern.  Best of luck, Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Safety of elective surgery

Thank you for your question. There are several things I consider when planning a surgery with multiple procedures. 

1. Does the patient have significant medical problems?
2. Are the procedures body contouring (tummy tuck, lipo, thigh lift)? as they have higher risk
3. Is the procedure less than 6 hours of anesthesia?

Assuming you don't have significant medical conditions I think this surgery is safe. You don't have any major body contouring procedures and I could perform your surgery under 6 hours. The method of procedures and duration of surgery varies greatly between surgeons. You should discuss your risk of complications with your surgeon and their estimation of length of time under anesthesia. 

Thank you for the question. Generally speaking, combination surgical procedures are done routinely. However, you are wise in being concerned about the safety of combination surgery; risks/possible complications do increase with increased length of surgery…

It is best to evaluate each patient's suitability for combination surgery on an individualized basis. During this consultation process, after a complete history and physical, the SAFETY of combining these surgical procedures becomes of paramount importance. Plastic surgeon, anesthesia provider, duration of surgery, surgery facility all important considerations.
Your best bet: choose your plastic surgeon very carefully; everything else including good judgment/advice/planning, anesthesia provider and safe surgery facility will follow. Always keep priorities (safety, avoidance of complications, and quality of outcome) in mind as you make your decisions. Best wishes.

Safety of multiple surgeries

Without examining you in person, it is impossible for me to say. Your right, it all has to do with how long you will be under. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and/or seek a second opinion from another board certified plastic surgeon in your area (link below). Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD