Will the "puffiness" and enlargement I have continued to experience post-excision of gynecomastia improve?

Three weeks ago, I had a small to moderate amount of fibroglandular tissue excised from my left breast. The breast surgeon believed it was semi-suspicious, and wanted it removed. My left nipple had been "puffy" and there was a definitive nodular mass present behind the areola. Post-excision, the puffiness has decreased some, but not completely subsided. I recognize I did not have a "true" gynecomastia reduction- but is any of this still swelling? Left > right in size, extending even to axilla

Swelling and Healing After Male Breast Reduction

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia

Thank you for the question and sorry for your concern.  That said an examination is needed to see what is going on so see your surgeon or other expert in the area.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Fullness after a gynecomastia operation

You should expect it to take six weeks to three months before you can evaluate your long term results. Significant swelling would still be expected at this point for you. Another situation may be that the surgeon chose to leave some of the tissue behind. We are often concerned with over resection. You should discuss this with your plastic surgeon. If you are very concerned, or probably better yet, wait a few months see how things settle down.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Puffiness following gynecomastia

Unfortunately you require a physical examination to provide you definitive answer to your concern and to provide you a remedy.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi tackett4023,
Thanks for the post. At 3 weeks you are still early in the healing phase and it is not unusual for there to be some swelling under the nipple. This should gradually decrease. It will be easier to judge the results when you are closer to 6 months post surgery.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

You need to wait 3 months

i tell all of my patients that you need to expect to wait at least 3 months after cosmetic 
surgery for everything to settle down. it can take even longer for procedures like a tummy tuck
Most of the concerns patients will have will settle down with more time.

good luck
david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia Removal Post Op

Bruising and swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will heal.

#gynecomastia 
#gynecomastiapostop

Thank you for your question.  At three weeks you will likely still have some degree of swelling from your surgery. It is difficult to do, but hang in there and assess your results at 3 months to have a better sense of your long-term results.  If at that time you still have glandular tissue behind your breasts, which is causing your nipples to remain puffy, you can have a revision procedure to correct this.  It is important to leave some amount of tissue underneath the nipple to prevent a tethered or retracted appearance.  As for now, voice your concerns with your surgeon, they can provide you with reassurance and discuss with you whether swelling is playing a role.