What does a mommy makeover consist of? Do I need to be at my ideal weight to have surgery?

Is a "mommy makeover" considered 2 surgeries or 3? I'm looking for a breast reduction, liposuction on my inner and outter thighs, and something to be done with my tummy (lipo or tuck--not sure). I'm 47 years old, 5'7", 190 lbs. I got sick with an autoimmune disease and gained about 50lbs. I have been slowly working it off, but am still over weight. I have lost about 15 lbs. over the past month, and am working on losing more. Do I need to be at my ideal weight/shape to have this surgery?

Ideal Weight for a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. It is best to undergo #MommyMakeover procedures when your weight has been stable for at least one year. In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity.

Lose a little more weight, then go for it!

Mommy makeover is just a term to describe a whole host of different surgeries.  As long as you are healthy, you could do everything you mentioned in 1 surgery.  It is preferred from both a safety standpoint and an outcome standpoint to get as close to your ideal weight as possible prior to surgery.  It will make your surgery safer and your recovery faster.  Sometimes things look worse as you lose the weight -- don't fret!  See an ASAPS member surgeon in your area and make a plan.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover

A mommy makeover is a personalized combination of procedures designed to help mommies get their bodies back after childbirth.   There is no official definition.  Procedures often involved include:  breast augmentation, breast lift, combination breast augmentation and lift, breast reduction, tummy tuck and liposuction.  It may also include a feminine rejuvenation procedure such as labiaplasty or vaginoplasty.  The Brazilian Butt Lift procedure may also be added to the list.

Samir S. Rao, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

What is a mommy makeover?

Most surgeons refer to a "mommy makeover" as a series of cosmetic surgery procedures intended to restore a woman’s figure after pregnancy. I perform these procedures as part of a “mommy makeover” for patients who want an improved figure after having children. Pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding can take a serious toll on a woman’s body, and many moms find that no amount of diet and exercise can restore their pre-baby figures. Procedures commonly performed during mommy makeovers include, but are not limited to:
-Abominoplasty (tummy tuck)
-Breast Augmentation +/- Lift, or Breast Lift only without implants or Breast Reduction with lift

Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Happy weight.

A mommy makeover consists of treatments to the breast and abdomen. Therefore, you can have one or more - whatever helps you rejuvenate your body contour after having children. I always recommend to have the surgery at a stable and "happy" weight. What I mean is that you shouldn't stress the body by going on a harsh diet just to lose weight.  Most of us have a weight that our body is comfortable being at.  You may be motivated to lose more weight after the surgery and the results will definitely improve.

You've done a great job losing the weight, so far!

Mommy makeover

Thank you for your question.  The mommy makeover procedure is a combination of procedures to improve the appearance of your body after pregnancy, weight loss, and breastfeeding.  I recommend that you first be seen in person by a board certified plastic surgeon to determine what your goal weight should be.  Then, determine what would be realistic expectations from surgery and what procedures would be best for you.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Mommy Makeover Questions . . .

What you mentioned is exactly what a mommy makeover consists of. A tummy tuck, a breast procedure (lift or augmentation) and sometimes liposuction. Depending on the extent of what you need to have done, it can be one or two stages (two procedures separated by a few months time). Of course, we need to know more about your autoimmune disorder for risk stratification. Your weight is not prohibitive with a BMI of 29 (my cutoff is BMI<30), but best to get to your goal weight prior to proceeding. Thank you for sharing and congratulations on your weight loss!!

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Staging multiple procedures

It is always best to consider or attempt to get down to within 10 pound of your ideal weight prior to considering surgery of the body.  Ideally your BMI should be less than 30 for sure.  In some cases everything can be done in one session and other time it should be done in two sessions.  An examination and review of your medical history and physical examination will help to determine your  surgical risk.  A breast reduction with an abdominoplasty is a large procedure and takes time to recover. 

What does a mommy makeover consist of?

Thank you for your request for information on a mommy makeover. This is a term used for a group of procedures .Each is customized to the individual, depending upon your body and goals.
Usually, we are addressing concerns with the abdominal area with a tummy tuck. Breasts may need lifting and/or augmentation. Also, I frequently do liposuction of the legs and arms with these.  It is prefferable to be near your ideal body weight to achieve the best results possible. 

Steven L. Robinson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover preparation

Thanks for your inquiry.  I recommend you are within 10 pounds of your goal weight.  Please discuss your auto-iimune disease and ny medictions you are on with your plastic surgeon.  You are right a mommy makeover is a combination of breast and body procedures designed to reverse the effects of pregnancy.