I had an open rhinoplasty 8 days ago. My doctor removed the splint yesterday and I am not happy with the results (Photo)

8 days post op. I am not happy with the appearance at all. I know swelling can take a year to go down, but I can't imagine having this nose for that long. The appearance of the columella really bothers me, and my upper lip is really tight, there are stitches in my mouth and my smile is totally different, and even when I'm not trying to smile it looks weird. I'm hoping I don't look like this for very long. Can you tell if I'm really swollen and maybe I could start looking better soon?

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photograph.

At this point in your recovery, it is impossible to determine your final results. It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have so they can give you a physical examination. You are extremely early in your recovery period and your nose will begin healing and changing, this will continue over the course of a year to year and a half. Swelling can cause the appearance of unevenness, enlargement and tightness in and around the area. It takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. If after 12-18 months, you are still unhappy with your results, I would contact your surgeon or a board certified plastic surgeon for a revision.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

1 week after rhinoplasty

The swelling at this point does not allow for one to determine results from the procedure.  The tightness you are feeling in the upper lip and the difficulty smiling is very normal.  You will need to maintain close follow up with your surgeon during your recovery period.   

Recovery

The tightness in the upper lip can be a combination of swelling and sutures used internally.  The nose unfortunately will stay swollen for a year and sometimes longer.  Good luck.

Swelling

Thank you for the photos and question and your nose and upper lip are swollen so try to be patient, but relate your concerns to your surgeon

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Postoperative recovery after septorhinoplasty / nose surgery

Hang in there... agreed, the swelling will take time to go down and at 1 week it is too early.. best of luck

Rhinoplasty a week ago

Your nose, as expected, is very swollen so you shouldn't make any judgements about how it may eventually look.  Every aspect of your nose will look better once the swelling is gone. Even in 6 weeks it will look a lot better. It is not unusual to not have your normal smile at this time. It would be reasonable to have all sutures removed at this time.

Devinder S. Mangat, MD, FACS
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

I had an open rhinoplasty 8 days ago. My doctor removed the splint yesterday and I am not happy with the results

Everything you describe is normal after nose surgery, and as your surgeon most likely told you, it takes a while to see the final result. There is no point in judging the results at this time. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS