Developed lumps under both eyes resulting from blepharoplasty & my surgeon is not sure what they are or how to treat? (Photo)

I had upper and lower blepharoplasty done 6 weeks ago. About 2 weeks ago a lump began forming under my left eye followed by a lump forming under my right eye although not as large. My doctor said this is very rare and does not seem to know what it is. Yesterday, she prescribed antibiotics in case it is an infection. Does anyone know what this is or how to treat?

Eyelid granuloma

This is a granuloma usually from transconjunctival blepharoplasty with ointment from the end of the case entering the wound- it needs to be excised

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lump after blepharoplasty

It is difficult to determine what this lump is from the sidelines. Helpful clues are acquired from a good examination which includes palpation and inspection of the posterior surface of the lid. It may be edema in the pretarsal area, granuloma as mentioned in other answers, chalazion, or adhesions within the layers of the lid creating an abnormal contour. Be sure to see an Oculoplastic specialist and one who is experienced with postoperative issues. Best wishes!

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lump after blepharoplasty

Sorry to hear about your trouble. While it is difficult to tell what is going on without an in person exam, I beleive your surgeon is correct in treating for a possible infection. It is unusual for an infection to start several weeks after surgery, but there are a few less common bacteria that could cause this. A suture granulmoa is also possible, although this would be a strange location to develop one. A biopsy may help. Your surgeon should see you through this process. Hope this helps. Best regards, Ira Vidor, M.D. 

Ira Vidor, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lumps after eyelid surgery

In addition to the oral antibiotics, I would add oral steroids also. Once the infection if present has resolved but the bumps are still present then injecting a steroid directly into the bump can help resolve it. This would need to be done by a surgeon with extensive experience in this area. If your current doctor doesn't feel comfortable get her to refer you to an oculoplastic specialist in your area.

Byron A. Long, MD
Marietta Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lump after blepharoplasty

She is correct in thinking this may be an infection.  There are certain bacteria (mycobacteria) that we see that start to form nodules at about 4-6 weeks after a surgery.  They are usually a little firm and red. I doubt a suture granuloma in this location as we don't usually put deep sutures in this area.  And an ointment granuloma is rare and usually just on one eye. If it doesn't start to improve within a few days of antibiotics, she will need to do a biopsy and special cultures to make sure you are getting the right treatment.  When treated correctly the cosmetic outcome can be good. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

EYelid lump

It depends on examination, details of original surgery etc. The fact that it is developing in a delayed fashion suggests it is anatomic and may need to be drained/excised. If your surgeon is uncertain there is nothing wrong with seeking another experienced opinion. She may be able to refer you to an appropriate provider.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD