I had a breast reduction 12 years ago. I went from a 32DDD to a 32D. About a year ago I started having issues with my scars.

The scars have always been raised and like bulky but a year ago they started to hurt.On my one right breast toward the middle of my torso I have developed ball under the skin about 2in long and about 2in high.Iwent to the surgeon that did my BR and she tried to get fluid out of it and nothing came out. She sent me for a mammogram and they did an ultrasound. It was not cancer, thank goodness. I did make another appointment. Does this sound like something scar revision surgery could take care of?

So many strange things can happen!

Hello- I am happy to hear you had a successful breast reduction over 10 years ago! And now, what a weird thing to happen... is your bra rubbing on in? Is there redness? There are many factors that influence a scar, but it is really odd that after so many years it is acting up! I have been in practice for 20 years, and have not seen this! It may be that a small spot "scar revision" will alleviate this.. or maybe another treatment-- like padding your bra with something or even a steroid injection-- you should stay with your plastic surgeon and she will guide you! good luck!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Issue with Scars

Thank you very much for your question.

It's difficult to say what may be going on without an in-person exam (and it sounds like even with an in-person exam, it wasn't obvious).  I would continue to follow closely with your surgeon.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Painful scar

This question, in my opinion, can only be answered in person by examination of what you're talking about. I it would be  rare, in my experience, for scar that originally did not hurt to begin hurting months later. There are many things we can do for scars including steroid injections, compression, tape, laser treatments, or scar revision. I recommend you see your plastic surgeon or alternatively get a second opinion about what your options are. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS