Do I have a high risk of nipple necrosis if I have a lift, when I have had previous breast surgeries? (photos)

Had IMF Subgland. breast implants. Because of botched Implantable Cardio Defibrillator (ICD) pocket revision surgery (Electrophysiologist cut beyond anatomical area, breached breast capsule cutting B Implant,) implant deflated next day. ICD fell into capsule pocket pulling leads from position in heart after en Bloc removal. ICD/removed from breast, new ICD implanted/new leads in heart. Plastics said, even if blood supply to nipple still intact, past surgeries create high nipple necrosis risk.

Do I have a high risk of nipple necrosis if I have a lift, when I have had previous breast surgeries?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue..

Risk of nipple necrosis

Sorry to hear about your troubles! I am glad that the ICD is in a good position now. I do not feel that you are at a significantly higher risk for nipple necrosis. While it is true that it is slightly higher, a board certified plastic surgeon should be able to perform this surgery. One that does a lot of breast surgeries that is comfortable doing mastopexies different ways would probably be your best bet.

Ellen A. Janetzke, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Do I have a high risk of nipple necrosis if I have a lift, when I have had previous breast surgeries

You could likely have a breast lift with only a small increase in risk to the areola. Typically when faced with such a scenario, the breast lift is done piece meal and altered if any change in the blood supply to the nipple is observed while moving the native breast tissue around.

Julio Garcia, MD

Risk of nipple necrosis

Thank you for your question. You would be at a slight increased risk for nipple necrosis given your history of breast surgery but not significantly so. As long as your surgeon is aware of your history and plans appropriately for the surgery the risk should be minimal. Be sure to consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of plastic surgery to discuss your options. Hope this helps

You may be at a slightly higher risk but I think that a lift is still possible. Obviously, you will need to be comfortable with the risk before proceeding with surgery.