Hemoglobin too high?

I recently had my blood work done with the goal of finding out my hemoglobin level. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that that my hemo was at 15.0 I am 5'5 and 180 pounds, my eating habits are terrible and I don't get the amount of sleep I should. I'm having a bbl procedure in February, if I begin taking iron supplements even though I have a 15.0 hemo... if it goes any higher is that safe?

Hemoglobin too high?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. it is really good that your hemo is high, besides that you should repeat your blood work to see if it's really that level, but sure it's weird on a woman to have that high hemo...

Hemoglobin level

I would discuss this with your doctor. A normal range is 12-16 so you are on the higher end and I would suggest trying to maintain this by limiting food sources high in iron, such as red meats and fortified cereals/grains and checking to make sure your multivitamin does not contain iron. It is always a good idea to follow a healthy well-balanced diet to maintain a healthy lifestyle so I would suggest trying to clean up your diet a little and getting at least 30 mins of exercise a couple days a week. This will lower your risk for health-related complications and help the progress of your post operative recovery. Best of luck.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Hemoglobin too High?

A Hgb of 15 isn't necessarily a cause for concern.  However, there are certain conditions that can cause your blood level to rise, including living at elevation (mountains of Colorado, for instance).  Other conditions that can do that include smoking, and sleep apnea, and certain kidney and bone marrow issues (but these are typically much higher than 15).  I would discuss your blood levels with your doctor.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon