Can I have genioplasty performed after I have an implant? Would I need it removed first? Best surgery to get results I want?

I had an implant placed approximately 4 years ago, but I'm not happy with the results. Overall I feel my face is very unbalanced and my profile is very weak. My orthodontist suggested orthognathic surgery, but I don't believe I have enough functional issues to require that surgery. The main thing I worry about is the appearance and many surgeons told me orthognathic surgery would not greatly affect my appearance. I'm just not sure where to go from here or what my options are with an implant.

Chin implant versus genioplasty

The first option would be to remove the old implant and place a larger one that can give more projection and width to balance out the patient's facial features. In addition, if there is significant recessive chin profile present, it  is best to seek out consultation with oral surgeon to talk about orthognathic surgery. For many examples of chin implants, please see the video and the link below

Sliding

Without seeing pictures of your profile an informed statement at to this best treatment for you can not be made. But as a general statement, a chin implant can be removed at the same time as performing a sliding genioplasty without a problem. It is also possible that in more sever cases of china underproduction that the implant is left in place and the sliding genioplasty done to have a composite approach to maximize your chin projection result.

Chin Implant Selection

If your functional situation is normal but you are unhappy with the appearance of your chin implant I would consider an chin implant exchange. This would be far easier than removing your old implant and having a sliding genioplasty for profile enhancement. 

From an appearance viewpoint, there are many well designed silastic chin implants available in various shapes and thicknesses. Perhaps your original implant did not offer you adequate projection or dimensional changes for your profile. Review Implantech, Inc website for information relating to newer or larger implants and consider replacement. 

Hope this answer helps. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon