Do you feel I am a good candidate? 5'7 210lbs (Photos)

do you think I am a good candidate for TT and lipo? dr wanted to get me down to prime weight but I cant get down any farther- going to try and lose 10-15 more this month but really don't want to wait. will it remove the upper portion of my stomach??? or at least make it look less swollen? will it help with me feeling fuller again since I had gastric sleeve surgery??? more info on that please really want to get back on track thanks

Thanks for your question and the photos. There are really two parts two a tummy tuck.  One is the removal of skin, the other is the tightening or flattening of the abdominal wall. You have a good amount of skin that can be removed,but you look at though you carry a good amount of weight intraabdominally. Therefore you may see little or less difference from the tightening. You would likely not be as gratified in the upper abdomen. If you had surgery at this weight your expectations would have to be carefully explained. At this weight you may be more streamlined, but you would not be thin.

At  5"7" , 210 Lbs.  you have an elevated BMI and your surgical risks go up. I prefer most of my patients to be below 200 unless they are very tall. Rail thin is often not realistic, but healthier is. It is worth waiting to achieve these goals. Your surgery will be safer and more gratifying.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Do you feel I am a good candidate for tummy tuck?

Thank you for the question and picture. Congratulations on your weight loss thus far. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. 

In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.  If you were my patient, with the goal being achieving the best outcome possible, I would encourage you to get as close as possible to your long-term stable weight prior to the date of surgery.

As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers and/or nutritionists may be helpful to you.  Seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be your next/best step. I hope this, and the attached link/video helps. Best wishes.

Do you feel I am a good candidate for a tummy tuck? 5'7 210lbs

Thank you for your question and photo.  Your plastic surgeon has given you good advice.  You need to lose significant weight before you have a tummy tuck.  At the problem is that if a tummy tuck is done now, because there is significant fat under the skin, you have a shelf or a drop off or protuberance above the tummy tuck incision.To learn more please read below:

The recommended BMI is less than 30. This is the recommendation of the American society of plastic surgery. The reason simply, is increased chance of complications. These include but limited to, pulmonary embolus, deep venous thrombosis, delayed wound healing and increase infection rate.

there are different types of tummy tucks which one is right for me and how are they different from the other? There is a mini tummy tuck, tummy tuck and a vertical abdominoplasty. The appropriate procedure depends the amount and location of the excess skin. That's what your plastic surgeon will have to determine after the actual physical exam.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Tummy Tuck and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote possible. Please be mindful that the in person physical exam is the most important and could potentially alter your treatment plan.

Tummy tuck

Your BMI is pretty high and you look like you have a large visceral component. The visceral component will not improve without diet and exercise, and your abdomen will likely not get very fast with a tummy tuck.

Weight and surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question.

Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.
For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30.
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Do you feel I am a good candidate? 5'7 210lbs

The upper portion of the abdomen is usually shaped like yours when there is too much fat inside the abdomen, an area that is not affected by surgery. So if you have a TT it is likely the upper part of your tummy will undergo very little change. It would take an exam to be sure but here's a test you can do at home....lie flat on the floor and have someone look at your upper tummy. If it stick up further from the floor than your ribs do then you are not ready for a TT. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for your question. Based on the picture you are not a good candidate for surgery. I recommend you to talk to your bariatric surgeon for evaluation 

Am I ready for tummy tuck.

It seems that despite your gastric sleeve your BMI is still quite high and we feel you are not ready for a tummy tuck. To get back on track you might consult with an exercise coach and a nutritionist.

Good Candidate?

Without doing a physical examination to see the distribution of fat (on the outside of the abdomen, or on the inside around your stomach/intestines), it's hard to say if you are a good candidate for the procedure.  You are always able to consult with another doctor in your area to get another recommendation.  Ultimately, it is the surgeon performing the surgery who decides if you're a good candidate for a procedure in their hands at their facilities.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon