Extra creases in right eyelid. Is this problem able to be fixed? (photo)

I wasn't sure if there was a clinical name for it but my right eyelid seems to have extra skin and extra creases compared to my left. Is there a term for this and is it able to be fixed?

Doctor Answers 4

Skin only blepharoplasty procedure

When patients have a small amount of a double fold on one upper eyelid, a conservative skin only upper blepharoplasty can be performed on just one lid   to match it to the opposite side. It's important to make sure there is no pre-existing ptosis which would also need to be addressed.

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 143 reviews

Eyelid Crease Asymmetry

Hi. Greetings from the UK! Yes I quite agree with Dr Steinsapir's opinion in that you've got evidence of bilateral upper lid aponeurosis dehiscence where the main tendon which lifts your eyelids up and down is starting to split and detach off its attachment to the tarsus (main cartilagenous structure within the eyelid) . You can this this specifically in YOUR right upper lid with multiple (some discontinuous) skin creases and what appears to be a high dominant crease on YOUR left. You'd probably do well with a simple blepharoplasty, skin crease reformation +/- levator aponeurosis repair which normally we'd do under local anaesthetic.

David Cheung, MBChB, Bsc(Hons), FRCOphth
Birmingham Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

(R) Eyelid crease

The short answer is yes. You need to make an in-person evaluation to show what can be done. Whatever procedure is recommended can be done under local anesthesia.

Robert J. Smyth, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon
3.5 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

The name for your issue is bilateral upper eyelid ptosis.

The upper eyelid on the right side folds differently than on the left side because of slight difference in the ptosis. The ptosis is why the eyelids are heavy and there is a compensatory eyebrow elevation.  You need to have your natural upper eyelid fold restored.  This can be done by using an approach I call Microblepharoplasty.  Please see the accompanying video for more information on this approach.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.