Is there drainage from my incision sites? Normal or should I talk to my surgeon? (Photo)

I am 3 days post op breast augmentation. 492 cc's under the muscle, inframammary incision. I need help with figuring out if there's drainage from my incision sites and if it's normal or if it needs to be looked at? My breasts are warm to the touch, only really sore on my ribs right beneath and on the side of my breasts. The incision near the tattoo is a bit red and itchy. Please let me know what you think about the incision sites and what to do! Thanks!!

Drainage from Incision Sites

Drainage from the incision site is normal after breast augmentation.  It should slow fairly quickly and stop. Also it is normal for your breasts to feel warm to touch.  You have had surgery and along with that inflammation which increases blood flow to all surrounding tissues.  This is what swelling and some redness is from.  At only 3 days it is all perfectly normal. Be patient and followup with your surgeon at your next scheduled appointment. It will take 6 weeks for most of the swelling to dissipate and up to 6 months to see your final result.

Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Post op incisions can have slight drainage..

Hello! There can be a scant amount of drainage from the incisions after surgery, but it is only a very slight amount. IF there is more, this would be unusual. The tapes can also make you itchy, as well as the pain meds, so it can be hard to tell what is happening.
I would continue to monitor the incisions, and try not to take any pain meds to see if you stop itching. Also, of course, talk to your PS-- she knows you best and can give you the best advice.
Good luck.

Anne Taylor, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Incision sites

The incisions are covered with steri strips so it is hard to answer your questions. However your result is very good and your breasts look normal.

Breast Implants / Breast Augmentation/ Breast Fat Transfer/ Cohesive Gel Implants / Silicone Implants / Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

If you are concerned or feel there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Drainage

hard to see from these pictures, but looks ok to me. if you have doubts see your surgeon.  pretty sure it is fine

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Is there drainage from my incision sites? Normal or should I talk to my surgeon?

You should return to your operating surgeon for an in-person examination to make sure everything is healing as it should be.  Best of luck. #drfeldman #BancroftFeldman #breastaugmentation #sugarland #HoustonTX

Breast augmentation drainage

I do not see much in the photos. If you are concerned, then you should probably see your surgeon. Best of luck.

Postop Concerns

Thank you for your question and photos.  There are no obvious signs of infection or hematoma.  Drainage from the incision after breast aug is not typical so it would be reasonable to share your concerns with your surgeon.  The can change your dressings and examine you more effectively.  Best wishes on your recovery.

Your incision looks ok but it is never a bad idea to be seen by your surgeon.

Your surgeon will probably replace your tapes and check the incision. Everything looks ok from the photos but a quick check is never a bad idea if you have any concern.

David Rankin, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Incision issues

From the photographs, it looks to me like there is some type of tape over the incision and the actual incision is not visible. It is not uncommon to have a small amount of bloody drainage for a few days after a breast implantation. When I hear red and itching, I would think of contact dermatitis which is essentially a rash secondary to sensitivity to either to the tape or the glue put on the skin to allow the tape to stick better. I would recommend you go back and see your operating plastic surgeon who could then best advise you.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS