Should I be concerned about this nipple? (photos)

25 y/o female. Non-smoker. Active. 9 days Post Op. When we spoke at my Post Op about my concerns, she addressed that it's almost like a blister and the very top layer of skin would likely fall off and then the nipple could properly heal. The parts that have fallen off look dark purple or maybe even black. I have a call into my surgeon but am not on full alarm yet.... should I be?

Should I be concerned about this nipple?

Follow up with your surgeon but this may be just bruising and early changes. Time will tell how things work out. 

Takes time

This healing will take some time.  It appears the nipple/areolar area is stressed by diminished circulation, but there is good pink healing in other areas.  It will take some time to sort out.

Concerns about nipple

I think the best way to treat this issue is to be very conservative. I would suggest you clean your incisions with some peroxide and then put some antibiotic ointment on the nipple and areola and keep it covered. I would keep in close contact with your plastic surgeon. I suspect you will be ok but it will take time.

Karen Quigley, MD

Nipple necrosis

You have at least superficial necrosis and probably some areas that will be full thickness.  This is a significant complication but not the end of the world. I would be in contact will your surgeon regarding wound care. Good luck, Jane. 

Nipple at 9 days.

I am sorry to hear and see your concerns. There is some vascular compromise of the nipple that may be superficial or may be deeper. It warrants close observation with your PS. Best to communicate with your ps and be seen. 

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast reduction surgery. There certainly is or has been vascular compromise to the nipples/areola complex;  exactly how  much tissue is involved (superficial versus full thickness) cannot be determined online.   Based on your photographs, I think that there are areas that are superficial and there may be areas of deeper involvement; this may be one of those situations where only time will tell. 

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Based on your pictures I think you have reason to be concerned.  I suspect you will experience some delayed wound healing.  Stay in close contact with your surgeon and get checked.

Scott Thellman, MD
Lawrence Plastic Surgeon