Can this boney hump actually be swelling? (Photo)

I had sinus surgery and septoplasty 2 weeks ago. I had a slight dorsal hump that the Dr said he could shave down a bit. He took the tape off a week later and the hump was much worse. And it really hasn't gone down. It feels like bone. Is it possible that it is just hard swelling? I would have assumed the bump wouldn't have been so prominant right after surgery. Others usually say bump is gone, but swelling remains. I go back in soon for post op. I just don't want him to sugar coat a problem.

Can this boney hump actually be swelling?

I agree it appears that the hump wasn't adequately addressed. You also have swelling on top of the residual hump. You will need to give your nose at least 3-6 months to heal before having the hump removed. Please discuss with your surgeon. If you are not confident in their assessment of the situation seek a second opinion. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bony Hump

This is probably a discussion you should have with your Surgeon to ascertain what was done and not during your procedure.  The hump appears very similar in before and after procedures, so I see your concern. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal Hump

Since you are only 2 weeks out I would give it more time, at least 3 months to see how things settle and if still unsatisfied speak with your surgeon and then seek a second opinion if still unhappy.

Good luck!

Nicole Schrader, MD, FACS
Princeton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hump after septoplasty

The septoplasty would only address the inside cartilage of your nose, not the hump.  That would be a rhinoplasty.  The pictures look very similar.   It is very unlikely that the dosas bump is from swelling.    The best person to talk to is your surgeon.  Keep us posted.  Best of luck, Dr. Michael Omidi

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice. The response to the question does not constitute a doctor patient relationship or formal advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Remaining hump after rhinoplasty

Based on your picture you continue to have a nasal hump.  You should return to your primary surgeon.  If you have confidence you can proceed in about 6 month to a year to adress this concern.

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon