Are my breasts finished with the dropping and fluffing? I had surgery 3 1/2 weeks ago. (photos)

Hello I had surgery 3&1/2 weeks ago. I had 450ccs high profile and because I did choose high profile I'm having a hard time figuring out if my implants are done dropping. Is this the final result? Will they look bigger eventually?

Are my breasts finished with the dropping and fluffing?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure.  Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment and advice.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. 

Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting (and that they have better "cleavage"). Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. Similarly, it takes a few months for the breasts to "soften" in most cases.  Most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery was performed.  

There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.  Understandably, patients often experience significant emotional "ups and downs" around the time of surgery.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. You appear to be healing appropriately at this time. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

When to expect breasts to drop after breast implants

It is best to wait at least 3 months before assessing your breast implant results. Based on your photos, I would expect that your implants will drop and you will see less upper pole fullness and more lower pole fullness. It takes time for your skin to stretch to accommodate the implants.

Thank for sharing! This is one of the most common questions asked about breast implants and other patients will appreciate seeing your photos.

Colin White, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Are My Implants Finished Dropping Yet? #breastimplants #breastaugmentation

• It can take a few MONTHS before breast implants settle into place completely.
  • It takes time for the lower pole breast skin to stretch and accommodate the size of the new implant. 
  • At 3 1/2 weeks after your breast augmentation, you are not yet seeing your final breast appearance.
  • Your breasts won't necessarily look larger, but they will look more full in the lower 1/2 of your breasts as time goes on.
  • You will likely be very happy with your breast augmentation results in a couple months. 
  • Thanks for sharing! 

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon