2.5 weeks post op BA, implants goes up and down. Should I be worried or is it too soon?

Hi, I was hoping someone can help me with my concern. I had my surgery for BA 2.5 weeks ago and am reading a lot about how implants will drop. I have 400cc UHP under the muscle which is the biggest I can go with my frame and my inplant throughout the day I can feel it drop as I feel a burning sensation, but then it starts to go every high again. And it stays high. I also have a lot of back pain, should I be worried or is it too soon? Please help.

See your surgeon

What you are experiencing is probably nothing to worry about, but since your pain is not decreasing, I think it would be a smart idea to be assessed in person by your surgeon. It always best to err on the side of caution. Best, Dr. Nazarian

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend you contact your surgeon about any new onset pain or discomfort so he/she can examine you and recommend most appropriate treatment plan at this time.  Regarding your implants, you are very early on in the recovery period.  It will take 3-6 months for them to settle.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

2.5 weeks post op

I recommend that you follow up with your plastic surgeon about any new pain or discomfort. Otherwise, you are still early post op and it will take between 2-6 months for your implants to drop and fluff.

All the best

High riding breast implants

Call and/or see your plastic surgeon.
It sounds like the smooth walled implants are sliding around inside the pockets that were dissected for them.  It sounds like there is a tendency for them to remain high.
An elastic band like Ace Wrap might be wrapped over the top of the breasts and around the chest.   This will help to keep the implants in the lower pocket while closing off the openings in tissues in the upper breasts.  This might be needed for several weeks until the implants remain in there final asthetically pleasing position.

Early post-op

You are still pretty early post-op and your breasts will likely change a fair amount over the next several months. Best of luck.

You are very early in your recovery and I suspect what you are feeling and seeing is normal for this time period. Continue to follow up with your surgeon.

Mobile implants

Thanks for your question.

2.5 weeks is still quite early in the post-operative phase for this type of procedure. It will take a number of months before you will see the final end result and the implants settle into their pockets. Ongoing pain may be concerning and would be best evaluated with an in person consultation. I suggest notifying your operative surgeon for an assessment.

Ryan Mitchell, MD, FRCSC
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

At 2 1/2 weeks it is very normal to be experiencing your symptoms. The implants will move in the pockets and it will take up to 6 to 8 weeks for the pockets to fully mature. I would follow up with your plastic surgeon to make sure that everything is moving in the correct direction, however your symptoms do not appear to be unusual at this stage in your healing process. Congratulations  on your recent surgery. 

Early in recovery phase

What you are describing in your post are all normal symptoms in the early postoperative phase of a breast augmentation. It may take several months for the implants to drop into the bottom of the pocket created for them. The burning sensation is usually related to stretching of nerves. These symptoms over the next few weeks, will progressively get better and better. Congratulations on your surgery and stay in touch with your chosen plastic surgeon for follow-up.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast implants moving

It is quite normal to feel the sensation of having the implants move position during the first few months. Regardless, gravity and stretch and settling of the tissues will be slowly taking place over this time. The implant should slowly drop into its final position within 3 to 6 months.  Burning sensations and back pain  are usually very temporary and are a result of the healing process as well as your frame and musculature getting used to the weight of the implant.  If you feel the breast implant is spending an inordinate amount of time in the "riding high" position, there are certain garments and straps that exert a downward pressure.  Not all surgeons recommend them or feel they are necessary, but with all of your concerns, it is certainly reasonable to have another visit with your plastic surgeon to go over all of this. Good luck with everything!Dr. Subbio

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon