I am a DD; I want the smallest size breasts?

I was told a C cup is the smallest I can get .. I was hoping for a B cup

I am a DD

Thanks for your question.  If you would like to retain function in your nipples then there will be a limitation in the amount of tissue that your surgeon can remove during your breast reduction surgery. A certain amount of tissue has to be left behind in order for your nipple Areolar complex to have sufficient blood supply after surgery. 

If you don't care about having any nipple function, then breast reduction technique using "free nipple grafting" can be performed. In this surgery, your surgeon can remove as much tissue as you want. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is experienced. Good luck. 

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Yes, it is possible to reduce the breasts size very significantly. The concern with the amount of tissue removed is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue; if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola) may be compromised. Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible) then patient will likely have problems with tissue survival. 

My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. This careful selection of plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. Most patients wish to achieve a enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. I suggest that you do not communicate your goals in terms of achieving a specific cup size. For example, a “B or C cup” may mean different things to different people and therefore may be a source of miscommunication. In my practice, I ask patients to communicate their goals with the help of goal photographs.

I hope this, and the attached link/video, helps. Best wishes.

Candidate for a BR

Also known as reduction mammoplasty, this is an operation intended to reduce the size of a woman's breasts and improve their shape and position. Frequently, the areola (dark skin around the nipple) is also made smaller. Functional symptoms (medical disorders) caused by excessive breast weight may be relieved or improved by this operation. Breast reduction procedures are ideal for:

• Women who have large, heavy breasts, which may be the cause of movement difficulties, back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap indentations and chafing under the breasts will benefit from reduction.
  • Women with excessive breast size, which may decrease a sense of attractiveness and self-confidence, are candidates.
  • Women with large breasts that interfere with normal daily activities or with exercise will be more comfortable when reduced.

Breast size after reduction surgery

Many large breasts are often wide and that alone can place limitations on end breast cup size.  Most women desire some amount of projection and nice shape even following a reduction.  To become a true, small B cup many wide breasted women would need to be significantly flattened which aesthetically can be displeasing. 

Also, many large breasted women have breast droop and many have considerable breast droop meaning that the current nipple position is far below where it ought to be.  To keep the nipple healthy (good blood flow and hopefully with sensation), a piece of tissue needs to be maintained under the nipple.  The longer the distance, the larger and longer that piece of tissue needs to be to carry the nipple.  That can certainly limited how small the surgeon can make the breast.

What I suggest is ensuring that your surgeon understands your desires for the most aggressive breast reduction that still leaves you with a reasonable appearance and keeps the nipple healthy.  A significant reduction will result in a dramatic outcome and a big improvement in symptoms.  Don't get caught up in achieving the 'perfect' bra size.  Bra sizes range depending on manufacturer anyway.  There is no such thing as a true B or C cup amongst companies.  Patients will end up fitting into a range of bras.  You will be pleased if your expectations are right headed into surgery and if you and your surgeon have achieved good communication about your desires. 

Breast size

The most important thing in a breast reduction is to leave enough tissue to provide blood supply (life) to the nipple and the skin.  I never promise a cup size because bra sizes are so variable.  That being said-you will experience almost immediate symptom relief and your breast will be perky enough that you won't need more than a sports bra.  Talk about your expectations with your surgeon.  Good luck, Jane

Cup size after reduction

I would be careful about placing too much emphasis on cup size, as this is not an accurate measurement method and varies between bra manufacturers. That being said, for patients wanting to be on the small side of the spectrum after breast reduction, this is usually an option.  The smaller you go after surgery, the more physical relief of back and neck pain issues you will achieve.  However, if you over-reduce (from an aesthetic standpoint), you run the risk of looking disproportionate.  If that is not a big issue for you, the true limitation on the amount of resection possible is blood supply.  A certain thickness needs to be maintained in the tissue flaps in order to keep a healthy blood supply.  Likewise, the tissue bridge (pedicle) providing blood supply to the nipple must also be left at an appropriate thickness.  Everything else can be removed, so a "B-cup look" is achievable for most patients depending on your starting point and anatomy.  If you are feeling like you will not be small enough after surgery, you might want to get a second opinion, but there will be a limit to how much tissue can be removed without risking blood supply to the skin and nipples  I'll include a link from my website to demonstrate an example of a fairly aggressive reduction that took a patient from the DD range to the B range in her style bras.  Good luck!

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

How small can you get with a Breast Reduction Surgery?

In evaluating a patient for a breast reduction procedure, a plastic surgeon needs to examine and measure the patient's breasts.   An important part of that examination is evaluating how much tissue lies below the nipple-areola area.   This is important because enough tissue with a good blood supply needs to remain behind the nipple-areola area in order for it to heal without any problems.   There are different ways of keeping the underlying tissue attached to the nipple-areola area, called pedicles.   I use a medially based pedicle which allows me to achieve smaller breasts safely, if that is the patient's desire.   Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has performed a lot of breast reductions.   I have performed over 1,000 breast reduction surgeries in my 23 years of practice as a plastic surgeon.

Best Wishes!