I had surgery one month ago. What happens if I don't massage my boobs?

I had breast implants I had a question wat happens if I don't massage my boobs is it a bad thing?

Massage after augmentation

Every surgeon has their own approach to post-op recovery, and it will have to do with their unique training, experience, patient population, surgical technique and approach to sizing. Your surgeons results, that I am sure you reviewed preop, were accomplished using his/her approach, and you trusted them to do your surgery so trust them with your post op care. He/she has a vested interest in your result. I routinely have all of my patients massage upward and inward, as they like to participate in the healing process and this keeps the superior pocket open to allow the implants to be pushed upwards in bras. Specific anatomy such as constricted or tuberous breasts, asymmetry or wide cleavage may require different massages. So discuss your concerns with your surgeon. I attached a link that will have all of my post-op instrcutions as an example of what I give to my patients. All the best.

Massage breast implants.

No. You do not have to massage.  This is something we had all our patients do years ago, but research has shown there is no difference in contraction if you massage or not.
Malcolm Lesavoy, MD

You should be fine

Implant massage was routinely recommended in the past, but now it is typically recommended for smooth implants with a tight pocket. If your implants are high riding or tight, you should massage them, bu if they are in good position and soft, you could hold off, but you should consult with your surgeon to determine his preferences.

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

What happens if I don't massage

In all honesty, if your implants are soft and in good position 1 month post-op you probably won't have any benefit by massage.  The majority of my augmentation patients do not need to massage.  Massage can be beneficial if an implant needs to be slightly re-positioned but will not prevent a capsular contracture from forming.  It is best to have the discussion with your surgeon as you want to follow his/her advice.

Massage is not proven

to prevent contractures but it certainly doesn't hurt and I employ massage with my smooth round patients.  You are not supposed to massaged textured implants.  Most of my patients eventually 'forget' to keep massaging and I can't say that anything bad happens because of that.

Curtis Wong, MD

Post Op. Massage

Thank you for your question. Best to ask your Plastic surgeon regarding post operative tissue expansion exercise. or not. In my opinion,most implants can be massaged. The exception is usually anatomic implants. The reason is that the pocket is created to fit the implant perfectly. If the pocket gets too big then the implant can rotate, defeating the purpose of having an anatomic implant in the first place. Please consult your PS.

Is massage of the breast following implant placement necessary?

Thank you for a question that elicits many responses from different surgeons. There is no clear consensus of whether massaging the breasts following implant surgery decreases the rate of capsular contracture. Many papers rest their opinions on personal surgeon experience. Be that as it may, I would follow the advice of your surgeon. I am in the opinion that it should at least help the lymphatics remove inflammatory fluid and decrease the swelling process. In my humble opinion, the most important is ice treatment to the top of the breast, minimizing your arm activity and taking anti-inflammatory agents one week following surgery. Once 

Sean T. Lille, MD

Massage

Ask your surgeon when and if tissue expansion exercises are needed! Not all patients will require massage as it varies depending on tissue and muscle strength 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Thank you for the question. It is extremely common to receive different opinions from different plastic surgeons about the best way to proceed after surgery. This is especially true when it comes to maneuvers such as “massage”; as you can imagine, it is not possible to document scientifically an advantage of massaging or not…
 Best to follow your plastic surgeon's advise/instructions, as opposed to those of online consultants. Your plastic surgeon knows exactly what procedure was performed, how he/she obtains the best outcomes possible, how you are progressing, and is ultimately responsible for your care. Best wishes.