Two Veneers vs a Full Set?

Hi There I have some slight discoloration/banding on my upper front two teeth. Its not noticeable in some lights but pretty noticeable in others. I'm 28 years old, male, and brush/floss every day. At $1500 per tooth, I don't have enough cash to get a full set of veneers. I'd like to only get the front two done, however, I am worried about them changing colour at a different rate to my other teeth over time. My natural teeth are quite white. Is anyone able to offer any advice? Many Thanks

Small improvements can make a big difference

I cant begin to tell you how many of my patients come in just
to have their two front teeth veneered or crowned.  It is usually
precipitated by some early event such as trauma or repeated
bonding procedures that makes one or both stand out.  What I would
suggest is if your happy with the color of the remaining teeth then
ask your dentist if during the veneer process you can go for a custom
shading.  This is done by the ceramist and it helps them create a color
map of the remaining teeth so they can create something that gets
close to a perfect match.  In general veneers are very stable when it
comes to color changing.  I would not advise doing any bleaching procedures
before the procedure since that may affect the long term results.  Your
natural teeth may darken slightly with age.  Then you can certainly
start bleaching those teeth to better match the veneers. 

New York Dentist

Two Veneers

I think that two veneers will be fine for you to do if you follow these steps.
1. Whiten your teeth first
2.  Make sure that your lab uses high quality photography to communicate color and shape of your existing teeth to their laboratory.  
3.  Approve the final aesthetic appearance before having the dentist bond them in.
4.  Follow up with regular cleanings and checkups with your dentist.
Good luck.  

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Dentist

Two veneers

Matching 2 veneers to the adjacent teeth can be done but it is challenging. If I am correct you would like the basic color of the veneers to match your natural teeth without the banding.  I would suggest asking your dentist if they use a local lab so that the lab tech can meet with you in person to make the appropriate color choices. If your dentist uses a lab elsewhere I would ask about using photography to send pictures of the teeth to the lab. Your natural teeth will change color over time, veneers shouldn't change color much. You can maintain the color match with regular bleaching of your natural teeth. I hope this helps.

Your End Result

Great question! I help patients answer this question by finding out what end result they are looking to achieve. If a limited (2 veneer) approach obtains that result, you desire, then that's your best option. If, however, you would like to improve your overall smile, then more would be required. We find financing options help patients get the smile they want without compromising. Flexible financing options can open up possibilities for patients that can't or don't want to pay cash for the solution they really want. Make sure to ask your dentist what financial options they offer. They may be able to find a way to make an investment in 2 or more very comfortable for you. With respect to color change - porcelain veneers do not change color. Older adhesives and bonding resin did change color over time but the new advanced materials we use today do not. I would not be concerned that properly designed and bonded veneers would change color. However, your natural teeth will change color over time. If you select a limited option (2 teeth) you will need to use whitening gel to touch-up the color of your natural teeth in order to maintain the match with the porcelain restorations. Discuss your concerns with your dentist and they should be able to help you make the very best decision for you. We wish you the best of luck!

Patrick Broome, DMD
Charlotte Dentist