Please help, my hair has to continued to thin dramatically after using Minoxidil for 4 months (Photo)

I was diagonsed with Andorgenic alopecia a year ago, And was prescribed Sprinolactone which did not help. I also have ill contorlled type 1 diabetes and a slight iron deficiency which I am told may contribute to my hair loss, is this true? I have been prescribed Cyproterone acetate (but have only started using it) I suffer from depression and anxiety and have very low self esttem and confidence and now can not stand look in the mirror or go out. What can I do, will minoxidil make my hair grow back

Minoxidil Not Working

I am sorry to learn about your situation which medically is a bit complicated in that you have several different reasons that may be involved or inter-related for losing hair: androgenetic alopecia, diabetes Type 1, iron deficiency, and stress. You need to treat all  of these simultaneously which is not easy. The diabetes must be must be under good control (diet, exercise, meds), you need to get your iron level up, and you need to find ways to reduce stress. As for the androgenetic alopecia, you have already learned what doe not work for you which is very important. Minoxidil (5%) is a good next step, but it does not always work. You must take it for four months to ascertain if it is working or not and it does have side effect which you can read about. LLLT is also an option if the Minoxidil does not work out. Finally, if all of the above does not work, you can get PRP which is usually highly effective in your situation providing the other factors are well-managed. Good luck!  

Minoxidil Not Working

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Lack of hair growth

Minoxidil will help you to keep the hair you have, it will not regrow hair.  You tried Spironolactone (androgen inhibitor) but did not note improvement and are on another androgen blocking agent, Cyproterone that you just started.   These drugs can help scalp hair loss but reduce body hair.  I would coordinate your care with an endocrinologist given that you have diabetes and hair loss also to make sure that you do not have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Lack of hair growth

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

If you have hair loss and would like a treatment options, see a doctor for a proper examination. Your doctor can give you

If you have hair loss and would like a treatment options, see a doctor for a proper examination.  Your doctor can give you a diagnosis after an examination.  If your treatment is not working it is best to follow up with your doctor.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon