Breast Lift, will I lose all sensation and have scars?

Hi Doctors.I am considering breast uplifting surgery for a long time but I have been told that after surgery , 1:There wont be any sensation or feelings in my breasts. I wont feel any thing with the touching .Is this true? 2: The scares wont go away. Please clarify if its true or not.

Lipo-lift

I appreciate your question.

I perform a liposuction breast lift that removes tissue from the areas you don't want such as near the armpit and the lower portion hanging near your stomach. Once I use this to shape the breast I then remove the skin to tighten the breast and create a better shape with nice cleavage. Since I perform this less invasively the recovery time is faster. The size would depend on the proportion with your body versus going for a cup size.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

The vast majority of patients should not lose sensation after breast lift surgery particularly with certain types of techniques.  There may also be smaller scar options available to you as well.  In addition, scars do improve with time and become less noticeable.

Risks of Plastic Surgery

Over time, gravity will continue to have an effect and the breast skin will tend to stretch. The degree of #stretching and #sagging varies between women: generally, women with smaller breasts experience less recurring sagging. If sagging does occur, further excision of the skin on an outpatient basis can be used to correct the problem. Heavy and large breasts may lead to recurrent sagging and may require the removal of a small amount of breast tissue to achieve an optimal shape and size. One key to a satisfying result is realistic expectations.

All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during you consultation.

#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem. The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”. These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing.

Scar Management

Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices. Here are some simple tips.Sca

Scar Management tips:
  1. Minimize tension on the scar. Steri-Strips and/or surgical tape are often placed in non-hair bearing areas at the time of surgery to minimize tension and keep pressure over the scar.  This minimizes the  stress that  can pull the scar apart (dehiscence) creating a wound and  delaying healing time, and can make the scar wider, or more “ropy”. In the first few weeks after surgery, I recommend the use of Embrace Scar Therapy which is an adherent silicone sheeting pre-stretched when applied so as to offload tension on the scar.
  2. Keep your incision site/scar clean to prevent infection. Follow your surgeon’s wound care instructions to the letter with out modification. Never apply different products then recommended without first discussing them with your surgeon. This is especially important during the first few weeks. If there are any signs of infection, contact your surgeon’s office right away and/or see your doctor or his nurse immediately. Typical signs of infection may include redness outside the immediate incision site, asymmetric swelling, and drainage, of pus, fever, chills, and “feeling sick”.
  3. Protect your scars from the sun. Staying out of the sun is the best advice. Minimal exposure to sunlight is prevents hyperpigmentation (permanently turning brown) and other problems that can make the scar more noticeable. Sunscreen, at least 30 SPF and an overlying make camouflage make up additionally protects the scar from the suns harmful rays. This advice is especially important the first year following your surgery.
  4. Use specific scar maturation products recommended by your surgeon. Patients seem to have their own opinions on this touting everything from Pure Vit E, Coco butter, to Aloe Vera, etc but most have minimal benefit other than keeping the scar hydrated. Although hydration is important there are better, scientifically studied products with greater efficacy. Most of the scientific articles written about this subject indicate that topical silicone gel or silicone sheets work the best. The best product available in my opinion is the Embrace Scar Therapy System by Neodyne BioSciences, Inc. available in many surgeons’ offices. Essentially this is an adherent silicone sheeting pre-stretched when applied so as to offload tension on the scar. For areas that are not applicable for this product (e.g. smaller areas or on the face), I prefer BioCorneum or Kelo-Cote products There are a lot of products to choose from, but silicone should be one of the key ingredients. Although Mederma, an onion extract derivative active ingredient rather than mainly silicone based may help, primarily silicone based products are better and many also contain other ingredients that may be synergistic (hydrocortisone or other steroid, Vitamin E, Sunscreen, etc).. If the reader has problems obtaining these they can call my office. Patient compliance is also critical – use often and according to directions or it will not work optimally. NEVER apply products without first discussing them with your surgeon.
  5. Monitor to make sure your scar is progressing optimally. Keep your scheduled follow-up appointments with your surgeon to verify that your scars are maturing as expected.  Occasionally if indicated you may need a topical steroid preparation or even a series of  injections (5-FU and/or Steroids) or laser treatments  to treat or  prevent scar hypertrophy or keloid formation (red raised scars), or other topical medicines to treat post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (brown scars) with prescription creams and possible laser treatments.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well...if you get a breast lift, first the scar will depend on how much extra skin you will have to get cut, and also no, you don't have to lose the sensation, but it is true that some patient's can lose it for a few months and then get it back even more, but it will depend on your nerve sensation. 

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Sensation and scars after breast lift surgery

Hello, the majority of my patients have full sensation in their breasts after the healing process, but chronic numbness is a risk.  Similarly, most people find that their scars fade to the point that they are not a cosmetic issue but more visible scars or even symptomatic thick scars called keloids can occur after any operation.  If you arrange a consultation with an experienced PS they will be able to help you weigh the advantages and risks of the operation.

Breast lift - no feeling and permanent scars? Is that right?

Thank you for asking about your breast lift.

• Scars from a breast lift are permanent but usually fade over a year or so and look fine.
  • There is a chance with any breast surgery of any kind that sensation is lose but it is unusual.
  • Swelling does make any surgical area number for months afterwards.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Scarring and sensation after breast lift

• Scarring: I have a very sincere conversation with all my breast lift/reduction patients. I tell them you are trading scars for a better breast shape and contour. For most patients they are very happy with the post operative look and shape of their breasts and they are willing to have the scars. These scars will fade overtime and lighten. And if you have a lighter skin tone naturally they can be very well hidden. However, I do have some patients on occasion that absolutely don't want any scars on their breasts. This operation isn't for them. 
  • Sensation: With any breast surgery it is possible to lose sensation to the nipples. Some patients have less sensation, some have the same, and some have too much sensation after the surgery. It is hard to tell who will fall into what category. There are certain operative techniques (pedicles) that can minimize sensation loss. I'd say on average the majority of my patients retain their preoperative nipple sensation. 

Regards,

Surjit S. Rai, MD 

Surjit S. Rai, MD
Dallas Physician

Breast lift, scars and sensation

Thank you for your question. All breast lifts require external incisions – while some scars will remain, breast lift patients find that the improved breast shape is well worth the tradeoff. A breast lift can rejuvenate your figure with a breast profile that is youthful and uplifted.  Nipples respond to breast surgery in a variety of ways. Some women report increased sensitivity, others notice decreased sensitivity. With all incisions this is a risk because the major nerve to the nipple comes from the very side of the breast, and any dissection puts this nerve at risk. The less accurate the dissection, the greater the risk of this problem. Whatever your experience, know that any change will likely subside over time. But even when everything is done perfectly, some women can have a permanent change in sensitivity, and all patients must be able to accept that risk before proceeding. Hope this helps with your decision. 

What will be the results of a breast lift?

Dear Natasha

Many thanks for posting your question. Personally, for the right candidate, I think that a mastopexy (breast uplift) is a great operation. However, there is a trade - for the improved shape and appearance of your breasts, there will be scars. Whilst the scars will not go away, they will certainly fade, and will continue to do so for around 2-years after the surgery. Actually the scar that usually fades the best is the vertical scar between nipple and breast crease.

Regarding sensation, I tell all my patients that they should expect to lose sensation in their nipples, however, many do retain some. The rest of the skin on the breast should usually retain normal sensation once the swelling has subsided.

I hope this helps - good luck!