Whats the difference between injecting Voluma in the cheek area with one injection vs multiple injections?

My doctor said at my consultation that it would only be one Prick. I've read that some doctors do multiple areas. I'm wondering if one technique is better than the other.

Cannulas or Needles Both Work Well With Voluma

Every board-certified dermatologist will have a preferred technique of delivering Voluma to the cheeks and cheekbones. Some use multiple injections with needles. Others prefer one small incision with a cannula, which is then manipulated in the skin to deliver the Voluma to various areas. Either can be effective and give highly satisfactory results. Cannulas tend to cause less bruising and swelling afterward and may be safer to use in the medial cheek, versus a needle laterally. Please speak with your board-certified dermatologist if you have more questions about your upcoming procedure.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

What's the difference between injecting Voluma in the cheek area with one injection vs multiple injections?

The number of injections necessary to achieve a good result with Voluma can vary depending on several factors including the size or range of area which needs to be treated,  whether a needle or cannula is used, and the preference of the injector themselves.  Fewer injections doesn't necessarily mean the results will be better nor that the injector is more skilled.  Seek out a plastic surgeon who has extensive experience with Voluma injections.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Needle vs cannula injections.

It sounds like what you are describing is the multiple injection needle technique versus the single puncture cannula technique. The reasons that we are able to use one puncture, in many cases, with the cannula are that the cannula tip is blunt (as opposed to sharp) so there is minimal risk of blood vessel or other critical strucrure laceration; the opening through which the filler is injected is on the side at the end of the cannula, so it is more easily rotated and re-deployed as needed. The side port also minimizes the rare, but potentially devastating risk of intraday ulnar injection (that can cause tissue loss, blindness, scar etc,). The longer cannula coupled with the ability to rotate the tip, also allow the injector great flexibility in terms of breadth of area of injection. I prefer cannula so in the anterior-medial upper face. Good question!

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Cannula vs needle

Each injector has their own preferred method of filler. Most skilled injectors will use both the cannula and needle methods. Each have their own advantages and disadvantages. Cannula technique is excellent in certain areas such as the cheeks, under the eyes and around the mouth. This method has less chances or bruising. 

Point injections can specifically localise and place the filler with extreme accuracy. Like most comments so far, I do believe that filling is an art, and each face is different. It is in the eye of your injector and their skills that make the difference. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia. 

One Puncture Voluma

Sounds like your doctor is using a cannula which works as well as standard needles.  More important than how many injections you get is how talented and seasoned the injector is.  Every face is different and a great injector is like an artist who takes that into consideration planning your treatment.

You should be involved with the process by telling your doctor what you like and where you feel your face has issues you want corrected.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist

Voluma Technique

Each injector has his or her own technique and each patient's anatomy and needs are unique.  As long as the end result is good, I don't think it matters much as far as discomfort if you have one more multiple small pokes with the small guage needle. 

George Lawson III, MD, FACS
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon

Different Injection Techniques

Filler can be injected in several different manners.  The important thing is to go to someone who is experienced and has a good aesthetic.  Good luck!

Which injection technique is best?

This truly depends upon your injector. I suspect that your injector uses a micro cannula technique during which a single puncture site is used to inject a larger area of the face. This is a very effective technique in experienced hands. The most important criteria in selecting an injector are their experience and the appearance of the results that they create. The number of pokes is less important as long as the results look great. Best.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

What Would da Vinci Have Done? Best Physician Facial Filler Injection Techniques

Hi Dlynn,

The use of injectable fillers is the art form of sculpting on the human face.  Just as da
Vinci used different tools and blends of materials, expert facial filler injectors have many tools and techniques to create natural beauty, symmetry, and rejuvenation.  

We can use one injection site with a micro-canulla, multiple site injections with the canal and/or needles, or any combination.  The point, no pun intended, is that what matters most, and what our patients are paying for is their result.  

With the proper physician injector, your injections should rate a 1 or 2 on the 10 point pain scale.  Improperly performed, a 1 prick treatment can be more painful than a properly performed multiple injection treatment.

Choose your injecting physician most carefully based on their skill, knowledge, experience, caring nature, and most importantly on their natural artistic vision.  Good luck and be well.

Michael Persky, MD
Encino, CA

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek Injections with Voluma

What is really important is the ultimate result.  It usually takes several injections to contour a given area with Voluma.  The injections need to be deep and placed accurately to assure a great cosmetic result.  Best, Dr. Green