Is Breast Feeding Possible w/ Breast Implant?

I may want atleast 1 more child, but my husband wont have it any other way than breast fed.... the problem is, I really do need the surgery because of ptosis after my 2nd pregnancy .. Can I still get implants? And will heavy lactating breast permanently damage the implants

Breast feeding after implantation

if the anatomy of the milk ducts have been transected secondary to surgery, then you will not be able to breast feed. I would advise waiting until after you are done with pregnancies to do the surgery. Also pregancy may distort your new breasts and then you would need a revision.

Mastopexy, used to address ptosis

could impair you ability to fully breast feed if ducts are damaged during the procedure.  Implants, if placed through the inframammary approach will not impact your ability to breast feed as no ducts or breast tissue is damaged.  But you also have to understand that some women, despite having successfully breast fed earlier, may no longer be able to breast feed on subsequent pregnancies... so if you have implant surgery prior to the next pregnancy, the implant cannot be blamed if you cannot breast feed then.  If you get implants now,  you can expect huge breasts when pregnant again.  Best to have your last child and then you can have any procedure you want to rejuvenate your breasts after that.  And if you spouse is still treating you well with your ptotic breasts, wait until you are done with childbearing.

Curtis Wong, MD

Can I breast feed after breast implants?

Yes, studies have shown that breast implant do not interfere with breast feeding. Pregancy may cause more sagginess of your breasts as well as differences so if you plan on having children you may want to think of when to have an augmentation.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast-feeding after breast augmentation surgery.

Thank you for your very good question.  My understanding is that 5% of women are naturally unable to breast-feed and that after breast implants are placed the statistics do not change.  If you have breast-fed successfully before I think the risk of breast implants affecting your ability to breast-feed is minimal.  Inserting the implants through an areolar incision does cut a few of the breast ducts but even so I would expect you would be successful again in breast-feeding despite the presence of implants.  It would not be unreasonable however to have your implants inserted through the axilla even if you are having an uplift procedure done at the same time.  This would avoid cutting any of your breast ducts.
My recommendation is that you meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss options.  Nothing of course is risk-free but the likelihood of you having a successful outcome and still being able to breast-feed is quite good in my opinion.
Regards and good luck.
Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Most likely

Over 95 percent of women can breast feed after breast implant surgery. Placing implant behind the muscle and not opening just beneath the areola will help

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Some women, who never had breast surgery, are naturally unable to breastfeed, and some variations of breast augmentation may make it more likely that you are unable to breastfeed, but most women with breast augmentations are able to successfully breastfeed. Breast implants pose no medical risk to your baby. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.  
Robert Singer, MD FACS  La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast Feeding After Implants

Good morning and thank you for your question! It is still possible to breast feed after implant placement provided the area around the nipple isn't cut. We typically recommend waiting until after you're finished having children and breast feeding for aesthetic reasons. You would hate to put the time and money into the surgery and then experience some of the same issues again after you're done breast feeding. Having said that, without seeing photos or having an in person examination, I can't really say how much enhancement you might need. But I can say that it won't hurt to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your case. Best of luck to you!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Ptosis, breast lift, and breast feeding.

In general, breast lift procedure will be required at the time of your implant augmentation in order to correct your breast ptosis. This may prevent you from breast feeding.

Arian Mowlavi, MD