I have this extra breast tissue under my arm, if having removed which is an option how long is the recovery?

Axillary breast tissue

What you are describing is axillary breast tissue which is more common than you may have thought. This accessory glandular tissue needs to be removed surgically and can be done through a small incision in the under arm. The under arm skin heals beautifully and is cosmetically hidden.This can be done locally or as an outpatient procedure and the recovery is relatively quick. Generally about 4-5 days of discomfort.Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate you and discuss your surgical plan.Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Axillary breast tissue

liposuction usually doesn't work very well for this situation.  The breast tissue typically needs to be cut out through an armpit incision measuring three or four inches. There is not a lot of pain and recovery is about five days.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast tissue under arm

you can liposuction this, or cut it out with an incision in the crease in the armpit. If it's dense  the lipo won't be enough, I've had patients with practically whole boobs in their armpit. The good news is that the skin pops back in very nicely in this area and it's unlikely to be saggy or stretched out.

Lisa Cassileth, MD, FACS

Removing Breast Tissue Under Arm

This is usually taken care of with liposuction. The recovery should be prompt and I allow my patients to go back to work within days following the procedure. 

Sometimes patients undergoing breast reduction surgery also wish to have excess breast tissue close to the axillary area removed; this breast tissue is called the axillary tail of Spence.   Most often patients benefit from direct excision of skin and the underlying breast tissue;   liposuction surgery alone may leave patients with redundancy/loose skin. The operation is generally a very well-tolerated operation with a 1 to 2 week period of decreased activity postoperatively.    Best wishes.

Removing breast tissue under the arm

can be done with liposuction or excision.  If the latter, recovery will usually take a week or so.  If the former, there is no down time at all but sometimes you may have to wear a compression garment post-op for a few weeks.

Curtis Wong, MD

Axillary Tail of Spence

Thank you for the question and what you are describing is the AxillaryTail of Spence and if fat can be removed via liposuction and if breast or breast mixed with fat needs to be excised.  Either way there should be minimal down time assuming no complications which are rareDr. Corbin 

Frederic H. Corbin, MD