Are there any surgeries for male breast reduction that minimize the risk of loss of nipple sensation? (photos)

Ive lost about 100 pounds and am now looking to do something about the loose skin and fat on my chest and abdomen. Are there any options for treating the chest area that would minimize the risk of loss of nipple sensation. Minimal scaring would be nice also but im more concerned with loosing sensation.

Gynecomastectomy with nipple sensation changes

Hi Hippo,

Thanks for your question and photo. Any surgery that you have on your breast may comprise your nipple sensation. The one surgery that may still preserve nipple sensation is liposuction. the removal of the breast tissue will remove all nipple sensation. it may return but only feel like normal skin rather than regular nipple sensation. There area always trade offs to improving shape and contour for scar/sensation changes. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS
@gynecomastecomy @liposuction @ultrasound @docmata #drcarlosmata

Gynecomastia surgery and loss of sensation

Thank you for your question and could benefit from gynecomastia surgery but you will need a resection of the excess breast tissue and liposuction.  The left side appears larger and you might need some skin removed but I would caution against that initially since the skin may retract and if the skin is removed it usually does not leave a nice scar.  You can always come back and remove skin if it does not shrink up enough.  You may lose some sensation but there is always a risk in this surgery but it is small.  I would see a board certified plastic surgeon who can tell you what would be best for you.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Chest Contouring After Weight Loss

Hi hippo48,
Thanks for the post and photo. Congratulations on your weight loss. Based on the photo it appears that you have asymmetry with one side being larger with more skin than the other. The question you have to answer for yourself is what is the goal for your surgery.
If it is the best contour possible then you will almost definitely need skin excision on the larger, droopier side. This will also involve moving the areola higher as well as reducing the size. This will lead to a higher chance of nipple sensation changes, especially if a free nipple/areolar graft is used.
If your main priority is preservation of the nipple sensation then liposuction with/without excision will be the best technique. However, based on the photo you will be almost certain to have loose skin in the lower aspect of the larger breast. 

There is no easy decision. I do recommend that you see a plastic surgeon who specializes in this type of gynecomastia procedure.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Nipple sensation and gynecomastia reduction

congrats on your weight loss! I would recommend starting with liposuction first.  this has the lowest risk of sensation loss.  give it a year to see how your skin shrinks, and if needed, then skin excision can be done then.  

Please make an in-person consultation with a ABPS board certified PS to evaluate you and discuss your options.
Hope that helps and best wishes!
Dr. Morales
ABPS Board Certified
Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

Are there any surgeries for male breast reduction that minimize the risk of loss of nipple sensation?

Congratulations on your significant weight loss; you should be very proud of this accomplishment.  Based on your history of weight loss and photograph, it is likely that you will benefit from some skin excision (breast reduction).  In my practice, I would offer you a breast reduction procedure that may include movement of the nipple/areola complexes superiorly,  either as a flap or as a skin graft.  The skin grafting procedure would mean that you will be left with no nipple/areola sensation. 

Ultimately, when it comes to scarring on your chest wall, you may need to decide whether you will you would be willing to trade a better contour of the chest for resulting scars.  If you choose a "minimal scarring" procedure, do not be surprised if you are left with loose/irregular skin.

My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with.  Then learn about the pros/cons/risks/complications associated with each option discussed.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

About Male Breast Reduction Surgery

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have breast enlargement and you think you are an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.

All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation.
It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Gynecomastia

Given all of your questions and concerns consider doing liposuction "only".  Give it at least a full year for complete skin shrinkage and evaluate. If you still choose to do some type of formal skin removal reduction there may be a lot less scarring involved. Just another way of looking at it.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon