I have a small chin and I think this causes my front teeth to push out my lower lip. Should I Get a Chin Implant? (photo)

I have a small chin and I think this causes my front teeth to push out my lower lip and I cannot close my mouth without straining, which makes a small wrinkle on my chin.

Doctor Answers 12

For sure. A chin implant is a must

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your chin is very weak. You need an extended chin implant with exactly 12mm thickness in the midline. Less than that will not be enough. More than that will be too much.

Montreal Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation options for under-projecting chin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Chin augmentation surgery can be considered to advance your chin forward. This can be done with an implant or sliding genioplasty to move the chin bone itself.

Neither of these approaches would change how your teeth align though. An oral surgeon can perform orthognathic surgery which realligns the teeth if you want to address that aspect.

You can learn more about chin augmentation surgery at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

Should I Get a Chin Implant?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

 Please share this answer with your parents if you are under 18 years of age.  From the photos provided, your chin is very wea and would benefit from Chin Augmentation with a Chin Implant.  

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Chin implant?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I agree with the previous post about orthodontic evaluation to see if your problem is only the chin or a combination of malocclusion and deficient chin.  You can treat the deficient chin with a genioplasty but may benefit by orthognathic surgery if you have abad bite.

Donald Nunn, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

Orthognathic Surgery vs. Chin Augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Given your young age, you should first get an orthodontic evaluation as your chin deficiency undoubtably has a dental (malocclusion) component to it. You need to go through the evaluation process to determine whether orthodontics/orthognathic surgery vs. a sliding genioplasty/chin implant would be the best treatment for you.

Should I Get a Chin Implant?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Best to obtain a "complete workup" of the dental issues and bony issues of your jaw from the appropriate docs IN PERSON! 

Chin implant and dental occlusion

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
A chin implant can be inserted for cosmetic purposesonly.  Jaw advancement surgery performed by an oral surgeon will improve the jawline and get the teeth to fit together.  The reference link below is for cheek implants

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 158 reviews

Chin Implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

based on your description s, you have a dental occlusion problem. This needs to be evaluated completely before considering a chin implant. You inability to close the mouth without straining may get worse with chin implant

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

Should I Get a Chin Implant?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A chin implant will improve chin projection and proportions in the lower 1/3rd of your face. However, you need to have an evaluation of your dental occlusion before having any cosmetic changes.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Chin implant is a good option

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I have looked at your pictures and agree with Dr. Weber that the most important first step is figuring out if your bite or occlusion is correct. If your teeth seem crowded or you have a crossbite or overbite then you would be best served by visiting an orthodontist or an oral-maxillofacial surgeon. If this isn't the case and you simply suffer from a small chin then a chin implant is a great option and can be performed with only local anesthesia in the office. Hope this helps!

Giancarlo Zuliani, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 71 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.