Best Option for Better Profile After Chin Implant Removal?

I would like the Chin implant removed; but I'm not sure if a smaller implant, no implant, or Genioplasty is the best option. What looks most natural, and will give me the best profile? I am willing to go through surgery not more than one time only, so I need to know the best option.

Chin implant removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Chin Implant removal information/and considerations: For the vast majority of chin implants, removal is straight  forward most commonly using the  same incision that was used to place it. The procedure is often done in the office with local anesthesia with or without some sedation, but also commonly done in the OR under IV sedation or general anesthesia per patient's and surgeon's preference.  Most implants are silicone and are not adherent so slip out readily. Medpor, also called PTFE, may have tissue ingrowth and can be a bit more involved but still can be removed in the same manner.  It is very helpful for your surgeon to  review your prior surgical records to know the size and type of implant used. This may be obtained by contacting your prior surgeon's office or OR facility and request your prior surgical records.

Expectations: if the chin implant was small and removed within the first few years chances are likely that you will return a similar size and shape as before. If the implant was small, the chin soft tissue usually shrinks back down without  sagging.  Often, there is still some gain once the implant is removed due to the scarring and capsule (lining your body makes around the implant) that gives some benefit. On the other hand a large implant placed many years ago, and other factors such as being elderly, having osteoporosis and perhaps smoking that can cause loss of underlying bone due to  bony erosion from the pressure of the implant. In this case  use of a natural filler such your fat or at times a bone graft may recommended for different reasons. Your surgeon may request a  Panorex or lateral cephalometric x-ray to see if this is the case.  Temporary fillers can also be tried such as Jeuvederm, Sculptra, Voluma, Volbella, etc. 

Most important of all make sure you pick a plastic surgeon with great expertise in #chinaugmentation and #chinimplantremoval. 

See the below link on how best to choose your surgeon.

Options following chin implant removal

There are no definitive solutions to your problem. Generally speaking most craniofacial or maxillofacial surgeons tend to use osseous genioplasty as the best method for longterm solution of a deficient chin. Clearly this is a considerably more invasive option and therefore many patients tend to avoid this option.

May be ok without a chin implant

Once the implant is removed, be patient. The capsule and scar tissue that is left behind will augment your chin to some degree. I would wait several months after the implant is removed to allow the swelling to subside and then re-assess your appearance. If you are not happy, please think prior to re-inserting an implant. Why do you want to remove the implant you have now? It is possible that you could develop the same concerns again with the new implant, even if it is smaller. You may be best served by leaving the implant out altogether.

A genioplasty has the advantage of augmenting the chin without the concerns of a foreign body but it is a bigger operation often done only by more specialized surgeons.

Good luck!

Jeffrey Horowitz, MD
Bel Air Plastic Surgeon