Chin Implant And/or Jaw Surgery? (photo)

What would you recommend to correct my exaggeratedly convex profile? Is there any practical way to make my upper jaw protrude less? Or is a chin implant or a sliding genioplasty my best option (if so, which one)? Note also that my lower cheeks are somewhat asymmetrical when viewed from the front. I have no problems with TMJ, underbite/overbite, chewing, jaw misalignment, etc.

Doctor Answers 1

Improving profile with Chin implant or Jaw surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question and photographs. Chin augmentation can be performed with implant, bone advancement, or injections. Most plastic surgeons prefer augmentation with a silicone implant, which is normally placed via a small incision hidden under the chin. Those patients who have teeth misalignment may require bone surgery to advance the jaw. Jaw bone surgery has longer recovery and risks, as compared to a chin implant. However, jaw bone surgery may be an appropriate option for some patients. Office injections for the chin don't provide the same 3D support and enhancement like a silicone implant or jaw surgery. Lastly, plastic surgeons typically don't reduce the upper jaw, but rather improve facial balance and proportion by augmenting other areas. Speak with your plastic surgeon, since only after a comprehensive evaluation can he/she help determine appropriate options for you.


Dr. Chaboki

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 89 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.