If I Remove a 12 y/o Chin Implant Due to Infection, Can I Use a Filler and Get Nice Results?

I had a chin implant placed 12years ago that is most likely now infected, if I get it removed can I inject juvederm to fill in where the implant used to be and still get a nice result? I love what the iimplant looks like but if I have to get it out because of infection I am very scared of what I will look like. Also if it is infected can it clear up with antibiotics so that I don't have to remove it?

Doctor Answers 2

Infection following chin implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is rare for an implant to become infected 12 years after placement.  It would be safe to place a filler to augment the chin after the removal of the implant and the resolution of the infection.  It may take a couple of syringes to get the result you are looking for.  As long as your are away of the cost and that the results are temporary, then this would be an option for you.


Generally speaking, I do not like Juvederm for this purpose.  I usually put Radiesse or Perlane to augment the chin because those products are a little more firm.  I like that quality when filling a weak chin.

It would be best for you to see a specialist, and determine the exact cause of the issue you are experiencing with the implant before you consider any of your options. There could be a number of other issues present that are leading you to believe there is an infection. One can only tell with an examination. Thanks and good luck!

Chin implant and infection

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It is very unusual to have a chin implant that becomes infected twelve years after it's placement?. If indeed it is infected and removal is needed then it is best to make sure all of the infection is cleared up before thinking of implanting a material such as Juvederm or Restylane. I would speak with your surgeon and see if a course of antibiotics will cure your problem? Are you sure you do not have an abcess on a tooth or something else that has caused this recent irritation. See your surgeon for a proper evaluation and diagnosis. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD
Orange County Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 218 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.