Chin Augmentation For Cleft Chin? (photo)

As you can see in my pictures I have a cleft in my chin and it is "pressed up" making me have a weak chin from the front, I want to know what procedure would smooth my chin removing the cleft and making my chin stronger from the frontal view. I have been told by one surgeon that a chin implant would be my best option but I have read that the chin should not go past the bottom lip for good proportion, from the side my chin is already quite strong, would an implant ruin my side profile?

Chin Cleft Correction

A chin implant, in and of itself, will NOT get rid of a chin cleft. While it will make the chin have more horizontal projection, the chin cleft exists because of a muscle deformity which will not magically go away because it is pushed from behind. The chin cleft must be dealt with directly, regardless of whether a chin implant is placed or not. Treatment options are based on the depth of the cleft can can include fat injections, intraoral mentalis muscle repair with a fat graft, or external direct excision.

Cleft Remains after Chin Implant

You will still have a cleft after chin augmentation by implants . As chin implants are typically placed just over the bone (subperiosteal) and your cleft is an overlying soft tissue contour it should still be there after implants are placed.

Chin Augmentation For Cleft Chin?

Remedying your cleft chin with an implant would be difficult without overly augmenting your chin projection. Radiesse is very effective. It is an in office injectable treatment that mimics a chin implant in feel. The contour of your chin can be precisely adjusted with the filler as well providing greater control over the final shape than you can achieve with an implant. This is a common request among people wanting to camouflage a chin cleft. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Chin Augmentation For Cleft Chin?

I do not think that a small chin implant would ruin your profile, but I think it would be pushing anatomical norms.  Radiesse is a good choice for temporary improvement.  An intraoral incision can be used to help obliterate the gap with a combination of tissue repositioning and suturing techniques.   Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Chin augmentation for cleft chin?

I would not recommend a chin implant for you and agree that an implant would bring your chin out too far forward.  Many people like having a cleft in the chin and some people actually will try to have surgery to obtain one.  If the cleft bothers you, I would recommend trying a filler, like Radiesse,  first to see if you like the result it gives.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon