Would a Chin Augmentation Help? Torn Between a Chin and Implant & Genioplasty (photo)

I want to have rhino and wondering if I can get away with rhino alone to enhance my profile? I feel my chin is a little weak ~ I have class II overbite. I did ortho to correct crooked teeth only. I don't want jaw surgery & I'm OK with my bite Goal: Harmonious and ideal profile via rhino and possibly horiz & vert chin augment Concerns: My deep labiomental crease. Will a chin augmentation hurt, help or not not effect this? I got 2 conflicting opinions - Torn between implant, genio, or no change

Doctor Answers 6

Chin Augmentation & Rhinoplasty Would Help

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and photos. A chin procedure would definately enhance your profile with a rhinoplasty.  A genioplasty would be the best permanent option due to the bite issues and deep labio mental sulcus.  A chin implant large enough to correct the deficit would deepen the sulcus too much.  A small implant would be a compromise but you would have to live with very conservative agumentation and a slightly deeper sulcus.  This could be removed easily if you are unhappy if a silicone implant is used.   Finally Radiesse injections or fat injections would help both issues. Consult a surgeon experienced in these treatments. Good luck.

Chin and nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Best to start out with just a chin augmentation.  A small or medium sized silastic chin implant is placed thru a submental incision  and placed over the bone.  The implant will give mostly anterior projection, some vertical and lateral enhancement as well.  A chin implant can be performed under local anesthesia

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 157 reviews

Rhinoplasty Combined With Sliding Genioplasty For Best Profile Change

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

yhe chin deficency is making a bigger negative impact on your facial profile than your nose. Thus any rhinoplasty should include a chin augmentationk procedure as well to really change your profile. A sliding genioplasty would be better than a chin implant in your case because you need both horizontal as well as vertical chin increases. With the vertical lengthening of a genioplasty, the labiomental fold will not get deeper as the chin comes forward. (but it won't get more shallow either)

Genioplasty or Chin Implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

   A chin implant will deepen the labiomental sulcus to some extent.  If you would like a more balanced face, I would recommend some type of chin augmentation.

Chin Augmentation for horizontal and vertical dimensions

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Classically a sliding genioplasty is favored to provide both vertical and horizontal changes to the chin.  A properly placed chin implant can also produce similar changes at a slightly lower cost (~$1500 less) and quicker recovery but it may also deepen the labiomental crease.  Your next best step is to pay a visit to a board certified plastic or oral surgeon who specializes in these procedure.  Glad to help... @drryanstanton  

Ryan A. Stanton, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 128 reviews

Go with the genioplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It's important to note that you already had orthodontics to correct your bite.  Be careful when considering a chin implant as, due to your deep depression above the chin ( the labio-mental sulcus), an implant can look like a shelf and very unnatural.  Additionally, your chin is short vertically.  So, I'd recommend a genioplasty to both project the chin modestly and to lengthen in vertically.   I've had great patient satisfaction with this procedure.  Good luck!

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.