Is Chin Augmentation with Fat Transfer Commonly Done Now?

My son went to see a plastic surgeon for rhinoplasty and chin augmentation. THe surgeon recommended fat transfer. I think he is very comfortable with this technique for older patients, for filling defects. I would like to know if many plastic surgeons are now considering fat transplant for chin enlargement?

If your son requires Rhinoplasty Surgery, he may consider a Chin Implant rather than Fat Transfer.

Silastic chin implants have a long track record of safety, and Chin Implant Surgery is commonly performed with nose job surgery. Inserting a chin implant adds around 30 minutes to the operation, and results tend to be predictable and permanent.

I have had good success with non-surgical chin augmentation using Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results. But I still favor a silastic chin implant when chin augmentation is indicated in my rhinoplasty patients. I have no personal experience with fat grafting for chin augmentation.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Fat grafting to the Chin

Chin augmentation is commonly done with a rhinoplasty. I would typically utilize an implant in that for a chin implant is straightforward and predictable. Fat grafting to the chin is much less predictable for augmentation of the chin.