Implant leaking? Gel cohesive (Photo)

So its been 11 months since my surgery. I received 425 cc gel cohesive implants. The last little while my right breast has been sore and standing up I can notice a slight change in volume not much though. The most noticeable thing is when I'm laying down. My right breast is pretty much flat with a crease compared to my left. Is this a sign of a rupture? I have a doctors appointment booked but its far off. Can someone help?

Visit your plastic surgeon as soon as possible if you suspect implant failure.

Without seeing your post-op photos, it’s difficult to say whether or not your implant is leaking. Saline implants will completely deflate and leave no doubt as to whether or not there is a leak, but it is more difficult to determine if a silicone implant has ruptured. Plastic surgeons can sometimes tell from physical examination if a gel implant has ruptured, but the only way to fully confirm this is with an MRI. I don’t know exactly what you mean by “far off,” but I would encourage you to see your plastic surgeon as soon as possible. So, check with his or her office to see if you can come in soon. The good news is, most implant manufacturers warranty their implants for 10 years and will replace your implants at no charge and contribute some to the additional costs of implant replacement if you do have implant failure. 

Eugene Plastic Surgeon

Breast leaking

The best advice I can give you is to see your surgeon. An MRI is the only way to tell if your implant is ruptured, It is unlikely this soon after surgery. Best of luck.

Not Leaking

Silicone gel implants do not deflate when they leak, nor do they leak so early after surgery. Go visit your surgeon to evaluate you to determine how things might get improved.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Implant leaking? Gel cohesive

Thank you for your picture and question. If you have cohesive gel implants, then there is no way to tell a rupture without an MRI. The way the gel sticks together makes it hard to diagnose on exam alone. I would say that it would be very unlikely for your implant to be ruptured at 11 months unless there was some type of trauma. If you feel that there is something wrong, then you are right to get it evaluated.

If the appointment is far off, then you might be able to call your surgeon now and tell them you want the order for the MRI to be done before the appointment so that at the appointment you can go over the results and discuss any treatment needed. Might speed up the process, just a thought.

Hope this helps!

Rupture

Thanks for your question and photos.  It is unlikely your implant has ruptured in less than a year.  Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is with an MRI.  I suggest you meet with your surgeon for an exam to see if something else is happening.  It is possible that your right implant pocket has become bigger.  Good luck!

Jeffrey Umansky, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Implant leaking? Gel cohesive

Thank you for your question.  The only way for sure to tell if you have a rupture is for your plastic surgeon to exam you and get an MRI to rule it out.  Try to move up your appointment, especially if you're experiencing discomfort.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS