Hate the look of the vertical scar for a breast lift. Are there any alternatives such as implants or areola reduction? (Photo)

have also had 3 children all breastfed. But it hasn't dramatically changed the size of my breast which are a 38 dd. I have gone through weight fluctuations during my 28 years but only by about 50 pounds

Lipo-lift

I appreciate your question.

I perform a liposuction breast lift that removes tissue from the areas you don't want such as near the armpit and the lower portion hanging near your stomach. Once I use this to shape the breast I then remove the skin to tighten the breast and create a better shape with nice cleavage. Since I perform this less invasively the recovery time is faster. The size would depend on the proportion with your body versus going for a cup size.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Hate the look of the vertical scar for a breast lift. Are there any alternatives such as implants or areola reduction?

I think that a lift that utilizes a vertical scar will allow for the best breast shape based upon the pictures presented.

Intended Results, and My Preferred Incisions

A mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used for breasts which sag or droop (ptosis). Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as part of the aging process. Pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an implant is used at the time of mastopexy. The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height.

I prefer to use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.

Alternatives for you?

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another. 
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a  Breast Augmentation

Mastopexies require vertical scars

to produce the best results but if you absolutely will not accept the scar, check out Dr. Hornbeck in Texas as he is the innovator of a procedure that doesn't have a vertical scar.  I personally do not believe he gets the consistent results we like to see but he is an alternative.  Otherwise stay home and just accept the scar for a much more rejuvenated look.

Curtis Wong, MD

Augmentation Mastopexy

Performed by an ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon, a formal breast lift with or without an implant will give you an optimal shape that could not be had by any other technique.  As for the vertical scar, surgeons like these can give most women a very fine and inconspicuous one, so much so that the vertical scar is the one that is hardest to see, sometimes truly invisible with time. In your case, your severe ptosis, asymmetric breast size and shape, and heavy breasts will make for a disaster with an 'areolar lift'. Best of luck. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Vertical scar in breast lifting

In your case, the vertical scar is really needed because your nipples are too low and there is too much loose skin for a lesser lift. But all surgeons are different and no 2 will get the same result. But the vertical is needed unfortunately.

Dislike the vertical scar in a breast lift

Unfortunately you will not get a good result unless you have either the vertical (lollipop) or the inverted T (anchor) lift.  Anything that just has a scar around the areola alone will end up stretching and not give you a good shape. An implant alone would not give any lift but would instead cause your breasts to sag more.

Lift

Thank you for the photos and unfortunately you are not really a good for a lessor lift but should get an excellent result with a lollipop or vertical lift

Dr Corbin

Vertical scar

Unfortunately, this scar is the trade off for the procedure that provides the best shape and best outcome from the surgery with the lowest risk.  I tell all my patients that express your concern that your breasts are scarless now and you are not pleased, so when given the choice of a scar and youthful shape vs. scarless and a droopy shape, the decision becomes easier.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon